Alaska Adventure - Homer & back to Anchorage


Advertisement
Published: November 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

An hour or so outside of Nikiski is Homer. We made reservations to stay at an RV park on the Homer Spit that evening. Was good to take a nice long shower and hang out around town. Shops are open for the summer season (end of May to end of August) along the boardwalks. You can find everything from carvings in ivory, antler, or wood to photography; even book a fishing trip or two! SPeaking of which... There was a Fishing Derby that goes on all summer long for Salmon & Halibut. We saw some HUGE fish!

After 2 nights, it was time to head the RV back towards Anchorage for our final leg of the journey! The skies were still cloudy & rain followed us. Managed to get a clear break in the weather at Potter's Marsh. Not too many birds out, but we did see the salmon run, some sand pipers, and a nest of an Eagle that the ranger pointed out.

Our last day in Anchorage were spent with friends & downtown shopping & having tea at one of the tea-shops. There's an open-air Saturday market (try the reindeer jerky!) and tons of tourist type places!

Until the next journey... and let's hope it's a lot warmer ;-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.286s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0957s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb