Day 9 - The Cuban


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán
October 7th 2011
Published: November 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Another day of clear blue skies and bright sunshine. Apart from a spot of table tennis, we spent it lying there on the Rui's private stretch of Caribbean beach. We didn't even have to get up for a drink as ice cold cocktails are brought to you. Tip the workers a dollar (according to our new friend, Luis, its more than they get an hour) and you’ll be well looked after – everyone wins.

Luis Romero, like most other Cuban exiles, believes Fidel Castro is a crazy megalomaniac. Luis now runs a cleaning business in Toronto and sends dollars back to Cuba to support family and friends he left behind. We met him by the pool yesterday and ever since we’ve been peppering him with questions about Cuba, the revolution and growing up in the famous socialist state. He painted a pretty bleak picture. So bleak, in fact, I felt I was only getting one side of the story but, as Luis kept telling me, “You will go to Kooba, you will see.”

His story was pretty interesting. Back in 1958, his father, Luis Sr, went to fight for Fidel in the Sierra Maestre and was rewarded with a high-ranking military position after the revolution and remains a Fidelista (Fidel-supporter) to this day. Luis went to University in Dresden, East Germany and in his late-twenties got involved with anti-Fidel groups, despite his father’s loyalties. You cannot openly protest in Cuba, so their non-violent, anti-Fidel campaigns included tearing down propaganda posters and throwing flyers from the top of the high-rise buildings. From fear of what might happen to them if their identities were discovered they only knew each other by nick-names. According to Luis, that fear was not misplaced as he lifted up his top to show off his old gunshot wounds and a scar from his life-saving operation after a severe police beating. Whilst recovering from his injuries, an official from Canadian took up his cause and one complicated plane ticket, fake passport and granted asylum later, he was living in Canada.

We chatted about all of this over a huge, juicy T-bone steak at one of the Riu’s four exclusive restaurants. In fact, we were enjoying Luis’ company so much that Ian forgot to collect his certificate for winning the Riu Open Table Tennis Championship earlier that day. There were only four players in the tournament and I don't think it was an internationally recognised event, but he did have to play my backhand in the final. Unfortunately, the thin wooden bats meant I couldn’t really play my game and Ian came out on top in a thriller, finishing me off with a Federesque, inside-out forehand to remember.

After some Mojitos in the Lounge, we left Luis to go watch England’s world cup match against France back in our room. 24-hour room service. Anything you need guys, just dial 810.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb