Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Progreso
February 14th 2015
Published: February 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast on the roof, then a walk east along the beach for a couple of miles. We hit the high tide about 10:30. Beach was very secluded with just a few walkers and playing dogs. Many large homes, some almost mansions, some run down. Not much sign of life, no "for rent" signs, so probably vacation property of Mexicans. Saw many overturned fishing boats up on shore, and one fast-moving catamaran out on the water. Saw a couple of small kids playing in the water. The wind was very brisk. Lots of washed-up kelp along the shore. I picked up some small white shells as we walked along.

Got a good view of the long pier. It goes out straight, then turns to the left. About 2.5km were built in 1942, a terminal was built in 1947. The last 4.5km were added in 1985. It was built to allow a gateway between the Yucatan and the rest of the world. The location allows large ships to reach major ports of the US and SA within 36 hours.

Later we headed to town. Checked out the market for fruit. The yellow mangos here are delicious. Saw many people buying flowers and heart-shaped balloons for Valentine's Day. Also a couple of ladies with well-dressed Chihuahuas. We located the bus depot to Merida for Monday's return trip. Went back to that taco shop we found yesterday, but unfortunately it was closed on Saturdays. Tried another one but not quite as good. The lighthouse was also closed!

Beautiful sunsets here. Ran up to the roof and back several times to get the perfect photo! Walked back to town at night. Beef sandwiches (tortas) and ice cream cups for our dinner. Good! More people out and about tonight. People lined up along the street in front of the hotel waiting for the Mardi Gras parade. We got a good view from the roof. Also a parade last night. Our pedometer said 5 miles tonight, so we got a bit of exercise for the day.

Another fun day to spend in Progreso tomorrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0896s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb