Merida - Back in travel mode


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Merida
June 12th 2011
Published: June 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Zocalo in MeridaZocalo in MeridaZocalo in Merida

Colourful street seller in the zocalo in Merida
After a relaxing time in Progreso we were ready for the hustle and bustle of Merida.

Merida is the hub of the Yucatan and as such was a very busy spot.

After dropping off our backpacks at the quaint Hotel Chabais we headed into the city centre to find a thriving zocalo (which is a large plaza open area with seats and trees). Being a saturday there were plenty of people out and about doing their shopping and generally enjoying their weekend. Shopping is a major attraction of Merida and with the wealth of the city there were quite a few diamond and jewellery stores. The department stores were a welcome reprieve from the heat of the day. Another place was the small restarant/bar Las Vigas where we replenished our energy with a serving of fried chicken wings and a few cervezas.

After that we went in search of some history and culture. And being such a centre of both, Merida did not fail to deliver. Our first stop was the Casa de Montejo, represents the wealth of the Spanish conquerors. Built in the 16th century by Francisco de Montejo, then the highest authority in the Yucatan, from
Traditional dancer on Sunday morningTraditional dancer on Sunday morningTraditional dancer on Sunday morning

Traditional dancing in Zocalo balancing bottles on their head
stones from the surrounding Mayan temples. It now displays the oppulent furniture that was used in the house alongside exhibits from local Mexican artists.

Our next stop was the Palacio de Gobierno, that offered a very sobering story of the oppression of the indiginous people. Done through murals by Fernando Castro Pacheco, the story of the conquest of the Yucatan and the subsequent suffering and latter uprisings of the peasants gave us a very insightful view of the recent history of this beautiful land.

Our last stop around the zocalo was the Catedral de San Ildelfonso. This was a very grand cathedral, again built using stones from local Mayan temples, that houses apparently the worlds largest indoor crucifix that stands at 20 metres tall.

Our friendly hotel host, Jan, advised us of a music and dance festival being held at the Paseo de Montejo (what the locals lovingly refer to as their Champs Ellysses). So after a freshen up and a meal consisting of all different kinds of meat accompanied with some of the hottest chilli sauce we have ever tried, we headed up to the festival.

The outdoor festival offered us an opportunity to listen
colourful pinatascolourful pinatascolourful pinatas

Colourful Pinatas, everywhere in Mexico so bright and interesting looking
to some Mexican music and watch some amazing dancers. The crowd was mainly families enjoying the cool night air and taking in some entertainment.

The next day we visited the Museo Regional de Antropologia e Historia to gain some more insight into the Mayan and their way of life. The collection includes Mayan objects associated with trade, war, burial and religion. Some of the exhibits had come from the site at Chichen Itza and it was good to get up and close to the artefacts and learn more about the society. As an added bonus the museum was also displaying a photographic exhibition on the Mexican Revolution.

After stocking up on the history and culture of Mexico we headed to the bus stop, on our way to the pirate town of Campeche, with a very interesting stop along the way.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Bonny in MeridaBonny in Merida
Bonny in Merida

Bonny checking out the sites of Merida
Cathedral in MeridaCathedral in Merida
Cathedral in Merida

Cathedral in Merida - home to the world´s tallest indoor crucifix at 20 metres tall


Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb