A Different Idea of Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Merida
February 5th 2011
Published: February 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Last night we attended one of the performances that the city of Merida sponsors every evening of the year. We think of Mexico as our poorer neighbor to the south, yet the culture offered here for free to the public is amazing! Last night's show was in the park next to our hotel, and performances have been given there for 46 years. There was an orchestra, a mariachi band, a chantuese with a powerful voice, and folk dancers. All were very professional and polished. The park was full, and the audience mostly locals.

Today we visited the cathedral (in a concept resembling that of the Christians in Italy using Roman temples to build churches, it is built from stone taken from the Mayan temple it replaced), the modern art museum (free) and walked around the central park area.

Bill arranged a car rental while I rested, and we booked few more nights here following our return from the Ruta Puuc.

Tonight we walked several blocks to a restaurant owned and run by a couple from BC. (The Rescoldos Bistro) Truly delicious food, served in a beautiful coutyard on a warm night....mmmm....

Most people don't have this image
Park near our hotelPark near our hotelPark near our hotel

Waiting for the show to begin
of Mexico...I know I once didn't. Gracious and friendly people, streets that are safe to stroll down night and day, cultural events daily, an eclectic mix of restaurants, not single dog to be seen, beautiful architecture and clean sidewalks....

Tomorrow we leave for Santa Elena, a small town in the middle of the ancient Mayan city area (about 90 minutes from Merida). We will stay there three nights....and then return to Merida.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Ribbon DanceRibbon Dance
Ribbon Dance

Done like a maypole
Dancing with trays!Dancing with trays!
Dancing with trays!

And glasses of water!


6th February 2011

Thanks!
Thanks for bringing sunshine to a rainy day!

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb