Oh Mex-i-co


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Sonora » Puerto Peñasco
October 5th 2006
Published: January 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Phoenix to Rocky Point


Oh Mex-i-co!



We were very excited about this trip to Rocky Point with a huge group of friends! Nick and I (along with Lucas and Amy obviously) were on the road by 8.30am. It took us 3-4 hours to make it south of the border, were we were waived into Mexico without even a glance at our passports!! A real contrast to the high tec American border control just meters away. As soon as you drive over the border you notice the difference, obviously not a lot of money there! The most amusing thing was undoubtably the road signs in Mexico on the way to rocky point. There was sign after sign warning you to watch out for different animals. After a while we were wondering if it was a joke of some sort - really we are in the middle of a desert wasteland and they have a warning sign for TURTLES?! We came up with a few ideas of our own… watch out for dolphins maybe?

Rocky point had a block of condos on the beach and we rented a number of them. The beach was true to its name and was rocky (and rough the first day we went swimming, I got dunked one time to many and took half the sand back in my togs!) but the temperature was GREAT! Much warmer than any NZ beach. The Arizona natives amongst us enjoyed looking at the rock pools and examining crabs. That night we played ‘Mafia’ - a group game the rules of which I wont even try to explain in this blog. Anyway after a few games where the rules got a little confused we finally had one really great game where the ‘towns people’ (of which I was one) managed to take out the mafia - great excitement!

We had arrived on the Thursday and gradually more and more people joined us as the weekend went on depending on how much time they could get off work. On the Friday we went to ‘sandy beach’ which was exactly as the name suggests - sandy. Not anything like a scenic NZ beach and there was quite a lot of rubbish on the sand, I would ALWAYS wear jandels/thongs/flip flops/sandels (whatever you want to call them). However once again the water temp was such that you could stay in the water all day! Once we got back from the beach to our condos we struck a little ‘bug’ problem. As the tide had come in all these big black bugs had come further and further up the beach and covered our patio! Thankfully Lucas came to the rescue with a broom and large bottle of fly spray. It was amazing though there were so many bugs running along the sand it looked like the whole beach was moving!!

On Friday night the last of our friends arrived and our condos were full. I still have no idea how the boys managed to fit 11 guys into a condo with beds for 8 at the max - well done guys! Us girls had a little more room with only 7 of us. Saturday we were back at sandy beach, although I didn’t make it into the water this time. Lying on the beach with an ipod that was leant to me by Andrew (or was it Matthew?) was too luxurious for me to want to move! I did however attend to my ‘self appointed official photographer’ duties as you will see. That evening our 2 condos played poker with exactly the same result as the
Mandi and PhilMandi and PhilMandi and Phil

These 2 beautiful people are now engaged! Congratulations guys!
‘boys night’ poker tournament - Nick 1st place and Lucas 2nd place. At this rate Nick will be a pro poker player and winning the big bucks in no time! Following that we went out to check out the night life. Mannies (I have no idea how that is spelt) was serving magaritas and playing music that wasn’t half bad, so me, Lauren, Kelly, Andrew, Matthew, Adrilyn, Nick B, Nick L and Nick K hung around to dance - great fun!

On Sunday it was home time. We said our final farewells to friends that night at The Cheesecake Shop (a restaurant with the biggest array of cheesecakes I have ever seen). The next day we were off to the East Coast!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Dinner Time!Dinner Time!
Dinner Time!

The girls make sure the boys are well fed! From left: Tim, James, Nick, Phil and Greg.
The guys take charge!The guys take charge!
The guys take charge!

The guys were left in charge of seafood one night - great job guys! Back row: Nick, Lucas, Brandon, Greg Front row: Nick, Andrew, Amy
The girls condoThe girls condo
The girls condo

From left: Kaitlyn, Stephanie(back), Kelly, Me, Lauren, Adralyn, Amy.
LOOK CLOSELY!LOOK CLOSELY!
LOOK CLOSELY!

You should be able to see 3 faces in this photo!


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb