Mazatlan


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Sinaloa » Mazatlan
April 19th 2007
Published: April 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Playa BrujaPlaya BrujaPlaya Bruja

One afternoon we took a local bus for about 45 minutes and arrived at Playa Bruja, a beautiful, wide uncrowded beach, with a bit of an undertow. Watched the horses and riders sauntering down the beach and bobbed along in the surf for the afternoon.

Mazatlan

 North America » Mexico » Mazatlan By Traveller1
April 19th 2007After taking our lives in our hands on the road from Durango, we finally landed in Mazatlan. This city is on the central pacific coast of Mexico with a population of about 300,000. It is a working port with mucho selection in treats from the sea. We had planned on staying awhile and then moving up the coast to Los Muchos and taking the ferry over to the Baja. However, after months on the road and encountering the wonderful life in Mazatan we called it a trip and decided to stay.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Twelve Miles of MaleconTwelve Miles of Malecon
Twelve Miles of Malecon

The malacon follows the Pacific for about 12 miles from one end of Maz i.e. from El Faro, (the lighthouse) north to Zona Durado (Gold zone with mucho touristas) and beyond. There are two main beaches along the route i.e. Olas Altas (High Waves) and Playa Norte.
Plazuela MachadoPlazuela Machado
Plazuela Machado

This small, intimate plaza in Maz's old town is atmosphere plus, with latin restaurantes lining the streets, gentle musica riding the oceans breezes and the theater Teatro Angela Peralta attracting its share of the cosmopolitan nightlife. We watched many performances there including the Sinola Symphonica, various concertinas and a scheduled performance by the Winnepeg Ballet on June 2nd. Afterwards a stroll through the Plaza Machado was a manditory end to a pleasant evening.
Teatro Angela PeraltaTeatro Angela Peralta
Teatro Angela Peralta

This little theatre was just such a gem! We went many times and enjoy most every performance; they were free, although have to admit, the one opera we attended and payed for "PlumpJack" we left at the intermission.
Camerata MazatlanCamerata Mazatlan
Camerata Mazatlan

This small group playing chamber music at the Teatro was outstanding especially the cellist to the right. She performed solo and brought the house down, or rather up on their feet in applause and admiration.
PulmoniasPulmonias
Pulmonias

These little VW open air,golf cart/bug type hybrids are Mazatlan's own contribution to the world of local transportation. They are seen everywhere and anywhere and approach you on the street with a discreet "toot" and a wave of the hand asking if you need/want a ride.
Moi at Playa El NorteMoi at Playa El Norte
Moi at Playa El Norte

While Olas Altas beach is frequented by tourists, El Norte is favoured my Mexicans: families, fishermen who leave at 3am and return with their catch for sale and breakfast, dogs, cats, swimming club members who head out about 7am and are seen doing "laps" beyond the surf.
HomeHome
Home

Home for us in Mazatlan was here, the lower level of a three level small apt. building, with three apts in total. It was a one bedroom with internet included, a tv with Spanish programs, a small patio in back where we ate all our meals, a kitchen which, after three months on the road, we loved. We were about a three block walk to the central market and gym and just a few more to Olas Altos beach and El Norte.
Am I Ever Hungary!Am I Ever Hungary!
Am I Ever Hungary!

Our little outside patio where we dinned, played some cards and hung our laundry as well; it's amazing how fast underwear dries in the Mexican sun, (this a habit from our "on the road" experience here and in SE Asia).
Does One Really Need a Backyard?Does One Really Need a Backyard?
Does One Really Need a Backyard?

One evening just at the corner of our place a few doors down, we heard this lovely whistling. Turns out this fellow was up there beside his apt. just taking in the evening air and looking very content; why not, no grass to cut, flowers to water. And, as a bous perhaps, he was nearly out of reach of the power lines.
Me and Luis at the GymMe and Luis at the Gym
Me and Luis at the Gym

This gym was just a few blocks down calle Dominguez ie. our street, and on the way to Playa Olas Altos. So, after a decent workout just ambled over to the ocean and cooled off. Luis here was a Mexican strongman, with trophies to prove it. In halting Espanol I asked about his background since he had mucho certificates on the wall; turns out he spent five years in Mexico City learning about computers. I was the only gringo at this gym and found the atmosphere very pleasant and welcoming.


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb