Real de Catorce - Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » San Luis Potosí » Real de Catorce
September 15th 2007
Published: July 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The village of Real de Catorce often shortened to Real is located 160 miles northwest of San Luis Potosi, Mexico. The village of Real de Catorce sits on the side of a mountain at more than 2.743 meters (9,000 feet). It is situated in the Sierra de Catorce Mountain Range, one of the highest plateaus in Mexico, where the summits may extend over 10,000 feet.

Although the town had been there for many years, silver was discovered in the local mountains in 1772 and a few years later in 1779 the village was officially founded. Nowadays, its main income comes from tourism. Several major commercial motion pictures have been filmed in Real including Bandidas (featuring Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz), The Mexican (featuring Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts), and some scenes of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (featuring Humphrey Bogart).

Originally founded in 1779 as Nuestra Señora de la Purisima Concepcion de los Alamos de Catorce, this once thriving silver mining town presently has a full time population of under 1,000 residents. Its Colonial style buildings, picturesque surroundings and remote location have made Real del Catorce a popular movie set. Several Hollywood films that have been shot there. Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, and James Gandolfini shot the movie The Mexican in Real de Catorce, as were some scenes from Las Bandidas with Penélope Cruz, Salma Hayek, Steve Zahn, Dwight Yoakam and Sam Shepard. Sections of the area were also used as scenes in John Huston's The Treasure of Sierra Madre with Humphrey Bogart, Walter Huston and Tim Holt.

Huichol Indians walk across miles of desert from Nayarit, Durango, Jalisco and Zacatecas to visit the valley of Catorce every spring to leave religious offerings at the "Cerro Quamado", a ceremonial center to the east of their mystical reliqious territory. Quemado is, according to their ancestral beliefs, the birthplace of their "Tatewari" or Grandfather Fire.

During this time, they also visit the "Wirikuta" or desert below Real de Catorce to gather a year's supply of sacred nourishment in the form of peyote or "hikuri", the magical cactus that they use to guide their path and consciousness. Though found throughout the region, the cacti in the Wirikuta purportedly produce the most desired crop.

At other times of the year, there is a continious pilgrimage of people of all ages and nationalities, motivated by the writings of Carlos Castaneda. They travel thousands of miles to arrive at this sacred site and experience a mystical communion with the magical cactus. So much so, in fact, that the government has mounted a campaign to protect the cactus from these so-called "peyote tourists." It is illegal for for anyone but Huichol Indians to gather, or possess, the peyote cactus.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb