Aktun Chen Cenote and park


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo
December 23rd 2019
Published: December 23rd 2019
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

roat to Aktun chen cenote and park


10 years ago, I was in Yucatan on the west side, and explore the Merida's surroundings, and then went South to Campeche, Tabasco and Chiapas. During that trip I visited cenote in Cuzama, not far from Merida. They were relatively "mature" cenotes, (as erosion goes), as the ceiling was very high and the cave spacious. This year, in Aktun chen, I visited, young cenotes, that you can say are caves full of water, and the ceiling quite low. This gave an almost totally different experience, but not recommended for the claustrophobics!!!

Aktun chen has cenotes, ziplines, a small "zoo", and lots of land. The road to get there is interesting in itself as you cross about 4.5 kms of dirt road, right in the forest to get to the entrance. You can spot animals on the way, and I did!!

The cenote itself is full of stalactites/stalacmites and the water full of fishes. The official tour itself is fast, 20 minutes, but you can remain as long as you want, if you're on your own!! Small zoo at the entrance is okay for small animals and critters, but cages are small for monkeys and other bigger animals. Overall, a good experience.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement


Red rump tarantulaRed rump tarantula
Red rump tarantula

Seen that one the road to the entrance


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0651s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb