Tulum....white sands and blue skies..A Dream


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Tulum
November 20th 2006
Published: January 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

TulumTulumTulum

White sands and blue skies.....
Tulum was one of the main places in Mexico I could not wait to see.
Five hours on a bus and Sivan, Sam, Lily and I were in Tulum.
We decided to stay one night in town and checked into the Weary Traveller Hostel that was listed in the Lonely Planet book.

Now, up to this stage of my blogs, you would see that I never really had much negative comments about my trip but as I travel further down south, I have to say it does take more out of you and this hostel that we stayed in was a good example as it was perhaps one of the most dissapointing places that I have stayed in thus far. When we arrived, they had just finished fumigating the beds. We were told that there were complaints of bed bugs in this hostel. It was noisy at night and most of us could not wait to check out the next morning and head to the beach. The lonely planet has been a good reference point but you have to still rely on fellow travellers to give you the best advice you need as you travel.

After collating all the
TulumTulumTulum

and coconut trees.....
information we needed, we left the very next morning and found a nice cabana called Santa Fe, by the beach and each paid US$6 each per night as all five of us shared one cabana.

The beaches of Tulum was as expected, white sands, blue skies and not too many tourist as the busy season was still a couple of weeks away.

It was unfortunate that it was not as hot as we expected as Tulum was hit by a cold front for the week. In the day it was perfect. Hot, windy and it was not humid at all.
But by night it was freezing! Had three shirts on and even under my blanket (sponsored by Cathay Pacific!) it was cold!
The structure of our cabanas was made of wood that had 3cm gaps in between, which did not do much to prevent the cold winds from coming through.

We met Doug at Tulum and a couple other German boys we had met along the way.
Spent the rest of the days lazing by the beach.
Took a boat trip and snorkelled. It was really nice seeing all the colourfull fishes and corals on the sea bed. We also got to see Tulum ruins from the sea.

Played football on the beach with the guys. I actually forgot how old I was as I played barefooted and at the end of the game, I was in pain and exhausted....ha ha but it was fun..

We bought groceries from the supermarket and made our dinners in our cabanas.
The beach is pretty out of the way and we refused to pay for a taxi which charges a lot for a short distance. So we resorted to hitch hiking out which was fun and free!

Lily and I found a nice restaurant down the road and had breakfast there. It was the best breakfast I have had so far in Mexico. I am always pleasantly suprised by how it good it can get whenm you least expect it.Great omelletes, fresh orange juice and an amazing vegetable pickles that was filled with fresh herbs, cloves of garlic, olive oil and a generous amount of vegetables in it....yummmmy

We didn't really visit the ruins which was 5 minutes away from our cabanas.
Saw it on the boat and from the entrance. It was an interesting one but we felt it was enough ruins for the moment for all of us.

We drank loads of beer, played cards, had "happy leaves" and had lots of laughs through out the few days.

What more can i say about Tulum?
It was just perfect.....

I left Tulum after a couple of days and said good bye to everyone as I had arranged to meet a Mexican friend in Playa Del Carmen for 2 days before moving on to Isla Mujeres.












Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

TulumTulum
Tulum

nice..........
Tulum by the beachTulum by the beach
Tulum by the beach

..capturing the moments..
Tulum Tulum
Tulum

Our very own pallapas by the beach..
TulumTulum
Tulum

.....relaxing in a hammock
Team GermanyTeam Germany
Team Germany

Chillin out with the German boys...
TullumTullum
Tullum

The Cabanas where Lily, Sam, Sivan, Doug and I stayed in for a few days..
In our cabanasIn our cabanas
In our cabanas

With Sivan, Lily, Sam and Doug in our little home
In our cabanas In our cabanas
In our cabanas

...having our meal of cheese, bread and avocados....oh yes and washing it down with cerveza...beer
In our cabanasIn our cabanas
In our cabanas

No electricity and by 7pm we had candlelight to light us up for the night...
TullumTullum
Tullum

on the boat snorkelling...
Snorkelling in TulumSnorkelling in Tulum
Snorkelling in Tulum

Sam and Lily "coodling"
Tulum ruinsTulum ruins
Tulum ruins

view of tulum ruins from the sea...
Tulum ruins Tulum ruins
Tulum ruins

view of Tulum ruins from land....actually this was taken at the entrance..


17th January 2007

WOWEEEEEE!
This place rocks! It looks beautiful! Wish I was there with you :o) Was great to speak the other day....will be in touch soon, take care lah!

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 11; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb