Mexico - the second wedding destination..


Advertisement
Published: January 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


So, we flew to Mexico in hopes of locating a wedding location for our June 2012 wedding. After having the car for all of 5 minutes, literally, James ran through a red light (I believe it was the first one we had seen). In all fairness, the lights in Mexico operate differently than either of us have seen before. We immediately got pulled over, and butchered our way through explaining what happened in espanol. After several minutes, and confused expressions, the officer kindly let us know that the fine for running a red light was well over a few hundred dollars. We tried again, this time with a bit more sincerity and a dash of implied bribary (you know, it's Mexico, sometimes you have to buy your way out), and this time it worked! "Lo siento", did us so right. After a brief warning, and a validation of our 5 minute rental, we were back on the road again. Approximately 1 stop later, James witnessed his first Mexican army men riding on the back of a truck with machine guns. Being a many-a-time traveler to Mexico I was well aware of these oddities, but James seemed shocked, and maybe a bit frightened. Knowing that I was in no way capable of driving in mexico (I'd easily kill us) I thought, wow, this is off to a great start!

We stayed at the Ibis downtown. A far cry from the mega resorts we were drooling over on our resort research runs. Never having been to Cancun before, I was excited to see what all the hype was about. Well, if you've been to Cancun, I'm sure you know where I'm going with this... seriously, why book a hotel in Cancun when you can drive 40 minutes more and be in Playa del Carmen/Riveria Maya. So, much better! And they use the same airport. Oh, and for anyone interested, out of all of the hotels we looked at, we thought that the Barcelo and Iberostar were the best, by far!

Anyways, after our all work and no play beach holiday, we decided on a venue, Hacienda del Mar. We got back to Costa Rica, started planning the wedding, and then realized that we didn't really want to get married in Mexico, or in June 2012. So, back to the drawing board on the adventures of Mr. and Ms. Indecisive 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0988s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb