Italy Part 2


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
July 17th 2011
Published: November 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We arrived in Venice tired, annoyed with Italy, broke, shameful for our drunken debortuary, and feeling more than hungover from several weeks of over-drinking finally catching up with us. But, lucky for us, we had only 1 day; so, we found our hotel as quick as possible, got over feeling sorry for ourselves, and hit the road running.

Venice is an amazing city. Although we looked through travel guides before arriving, once we got there we decided that the best option would be to wander aimlessly through the streets. Never really knowing where we were, we managed to cover a lot of ground and run into some really interesting sites, shops, restaurants, and squares. Many of the streets are very narrow, a bit more like secret passageways than an actual streets.

After finding out the gondola rides cost $175 per 30 minutes, we decided to ditch the tourist trap for what turned out to be a much more romantic and pleasant lunch. After grabbing some light snacks and mini wine bottles we headed to a quiet street with stoops leading to a canal. We sat and drank and ate, while watching several gondolas make their way down the narrow canal. It turned out to be the best money never spent.

We had dinner at a nearby large but empty restaurant, too exhausted to look for anything else. The food was awful and the best part was, in addition to a service charge, and gratuity, they charged us a table tax for sitting down in the empty restaurant. I guess not all of the restaurants in Venice do this but we were lucky enough to find ourselves one that did.

The next morning we jumped from water taxi to water taxi trying to steal our last glances of the city before catching our flight. Although the rest of Italy turned out to be majorly disappointing, Venice was surprisingly pleasant; quite the opposite of what we had heard…



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Piazzo San MarcoPiazzo San Marco
Piazzo San Marco

Very cool architecture but very touristy
Piazzo San MarcoPiazzo San Marco
Piazzo San Marco

Very cool architecture but very touristy


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb