Tulum


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Playa del Carmen
November 21st 2008
Published: December 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Most people decided to take it easy and stay at Playa del Carmen, but some of us went to Tulum. It didn’t take long for the collectivo to fill up and it only cost 35 pesos to get there. From the drop-off point it was another 8-10 minutes to the entrance of the Tulum ruins and another 10 minutes south to the better public beaches. It was quite busy when we got there, and many people looked like they had just left their all-inclusive resort for the first time. Many resort goers visit Tulum because they felt guilty about not doing something cultural and the closest is Tulum. The beach south of the ruins is much bigger than the one within the walls of Tulum ruins, with beautiful white sand, relatively warm turquoise ocean and fewer visitors. It was the perfect way to wind down after all those long bus rides!

Some of us did ultimately decide to visit the Tulum ruins around 16:20hr. This one is much smaller in scale but it’s unique because of its location by the ocean.

Some good speeches were made at supper tonight and I finally paid off the bet I lost! On the way back I noticed similar security measures at convenience stores and pharmacies where the place was locked down and to buy something you told the store clerk what you wanted and they would bring it to you at the door and the transaction would happen through this small opening. Curious! I also didn’t know that you can get many prescription medications here over-the-counter and significantly cheaper than either Canada or the US. It’s too bad I didn’t need anything or maybe it was a good thing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0674s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb