Mezcalitos


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Cozumel
August 15th 2007
Published: August 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We took the ferry from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel. We didn't plan at all for this trip and found ourselves walking along the main street. I thought the island was small enough that we could walk to the other side, but that was not the case. A young boy on the side of the ride informed us that it could take almost 2 hours. He also informed us that taxi's on Cozumel were very expensive as well. Some taxi's charged $35 one way, but we were lucky to find a one for less. He took us to an very isolated beach, called Mezcalitos for $100 pesos and agreed to pick us up a couple hours later for the same price, but return us all the way to the port.

We had an incredible day here...only a few people stopped along the way while touring the island. We had most of the beach to ourselves. One of the locals told us that early that morning a boat from Cuba was found on the beach. The 20 passengers had been traveling for 20 days on the boat. A search and rescue team went out looking for the other one that hadn't
Naked Beach Naked Beach Naked Beach

Too bad we were the only ones there that day, but what a great day in the middle of no where on an island.
made it too shore. Also that morning, a sea turtle made land and buried eggs. The police frequented the location many times during the day and when we left one was stationed at the beach. So for a very small section of Cozumel, there was a lot of excitement.

We also found out from our taxi driver that Bill Gates frequents this island often, in fact, he has a three level yacht. He has also recently purchased a great deal of land near Mezcalitos. Once again, sharing time with the taxi drivers is the best source of information. Applause to Carlos!!!

Upon our return to the port we walked around a bit more. We found ourselves at the cruise ship port, which was actually a joke because for the small section that the tourists see they don't truly see Cozumel for what it is. This section of Cozumel has been designed for the tourists: full of American music, McDonald's, Domino's (which is very popular here in Mexico and they even deliver pizza's on moped's), tacky souvenir shops etc. We will defintely never opt for a cruise that stops in Cozumel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb