Cancun


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Cancun
October 11th 2010
Published: October 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I'm writing this from my new laptop in a Vancouver Hostel, but more on that in the next edition! Just a little catch up on our last stop in Mexico.

We arrived in Cancun to discover it really was different to Playa, just like everyone had told us!!

My best analogy is Cancun is like the Gold Coast, and Playa del Carmen is Byron Bay.

Checked into a nice hotel downtown, he gave us a better rate because we were there for 5 nights, which was a bonus. We still hadn't escaped the heat and humidity, and because we were staying downtown the concrete and bitumen made it feel even hotter. In Cancun it is a twenty minute bus ride to the beach and 'hotel zone' where all the big resort hotels are on the beach.

We spent our days in Cancun being very lazy. We went to the beach for a look, but after the perfectness of Playa, Cancun wasn't as good. The big resorts were interesting to walk past. We walked down to a big shopping centre centre catering for the american tourists, which there was plenty.

The highlight of our time in Cancun was definitly the food! We were lucky enough to be staying less than 500metres from an open air food court, with stage area and a few handicraft stalls. It was definitly a locals place. We ate there at least once everyday if not twice (breakfast was included at the hotel, which was also the best of the trip this far). Taca's, torta's all for only a couple dollars, empanada's deep fried or grilled. But the definite highlight was the nutella crepes!! These would be made right in front of you and were absolutely amazing!!

Another special moment was being in an internet cafe and we were able to watch live from Hawaii, Australian Mirinda Carefree cross the line and win the Hawiian Ironman, after Australian Chris McCormack had already won the mens.

We packed our bags, dug out our passports and headed to the airport.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

the stage area, children would drive these little cars through the crowd!!the stage area, children would drive these little cars through the crowd!!
the stage area, children would drive these little cars through the crowd!!

or if the child was too little to drive mum or dad would follow driving it with a remote control


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb