San Francisco church & ex-monastery


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Querétaro » Santiago de Querétaro
September 26th 2014
Published: September 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

SAN FRANCISCO CHURCHSAN FRANCISCO CHURCHSAN FRANCISCO CHURCH

The church & monastery is located on Av Corregidora at 5 de Mayo adjacent to the spacious & busy Zenea Plaza. Adjacent Constitution Plaza & Zenea plaza across the street were once part of the atrium of the church & monastery.
The Church of San Francisco, completed at the beginning of the 18th century, was the most important church in town, serving as the cathedral until the 20th century. The church & the attached monastery is all that remains of a large complex that included several chapels & an orchard that extended for blocks to the east and south. The monastery is now the Regional Museum.

The Regional Museum was established in 1936. Because Queretaro was the stage for some of the greatest events in Mexican history, this museum actually offers a window into Mexican history. The 1917 Constitution was signed here, events that accelerated the proclamation of Independence took place in its colonial buildings, and the city witnessed the downfall of Maxmillian, the pretender king. The16th-century Convent served as a fort during Maxmillian’s reign and as a hospital & surgery ward for American troops in 1867. Its exhibits therefore cover the prehistoric, colonial, independence, imperial, revolution and post-revolution periods of Mexican history.


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Side viewSide view
Side view

The complex was built in 1540 & was the first religious complex built in Queretaro. The complex became the main axis of the city’s development.
Main entranceMain entrance
Main entrance

The church served as the city’s cathedral for 200 years.
CeilingCeiling
Ceiling

looking back toward the choir loft
FORMER MONASTERYFORMER MONASTERY
FORMER MONASTERY

The former monastery is now the wonderful Regional Museum which exhibits some of the most precious objects in the history of the state and Mexico.
Main courtyard fountainMain courtyard fountain
Main courtyard fountain

in swapped RGB channels




The cloister is one of the most beautiful in Mexico.
Ceilings & cornersCeilings & corners
Ceilings & corners

The open areas and courtyard are enormous with lots of natural light.


View of the dome


26th September 2014

Beautiful!
Great photos, capturing a beautiful town!
27th September 2014

Nicely done!
I really like the colour and saturation of the photos on pages 1 and 3. It's always illuminating and refreshing to see how well Mexico cares for its historic sites and events. Thank you for sharing this information and these shots with us.
29th September 2014

What a stunning church and monastery.
Thanks for sharing.

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb