A Love Letter to Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca
March 7th 2012
Published: March 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

When we got up at 5:00am Tuesday, it was snowing! It didn't stick to the roads, but made for a pretty drive once the sun came up...We left the car at Luke's and he drove us to the airport, where we caught a flight to Houston. The plane arrived late in Texas and we almost missed our connection to Oaxaca, but with some luck and lots of running, we got on and arrived here around 9:00pm Tuesday night.

We checked into our hotel, and walked to the main plaza for dinner. I love how everyone is out strolling late into the evening in Mexico! It is cool here in the evenings and warm during the day.

Today (Wednesday) we slept in, and then walked to my Spanish language school where I will start lessons tomorrow. I took the placement test, and was invited to a free cooking class later in the day. We went back to the zocalo to people watch and listened to a marimba band concert. Bill still has a cold, so he rested while I learned to make "Mole Verde" in a private home.

I am so delighted to be back in Mexico! The soft air (here with a hint of coolness from the surrounding mountains), the colors of the buildings, the way people stroll and sit in the zocalas, live music in the parks (and a couple dancing to it...), great food everywhere, the way people seem relxed and enjoying each other's company....adorable children.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Zocala (plaza) at 11:00pmZocala (plaza) at 11:00pm
Zocala (plaza) at 11:00pm

We had dinner near here, and then strolled back to the hotel....
Sax players with marimba bandSax players with marimba band
Sax players with marimba band

We listened to this concert in the zocala Wednesday.
Cooking classCooking class
Cooking class

I didn't know a few of the ingredients: the greens and the squash-like vegetable were new to me.


8th March 2012

Oaxaca
We love Oaxaca and have spent a lot of time there; 3 months in 1998 with returns in 2000 and 2004. What hotel are you staying at and where are you taking classes? How long will you be there? How jealous we are! Carol and Martin

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0626s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb