Bare, naked, palm tree covered Zipolite


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Zipolite
February 12th 2009
Published: March 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Tim Version:
* Back to tranquility and beauty in a big big way, so much happier!
* Naked bodies everywhere! Only old ones though. But the vibe here, its so happy!

The version that has seen far far too many naked wrinkled old bodies:

I heard it was a nude beach but I just kind of ignored hearing that. We have them at home, but they're really not used as such much. Wow, people were really milking it here... heh and its never the young pretty ones! Both a nudist haven, and a haven for gay people, it made for a very happy easy going never fighting crowd, but not what the eyes wanted to see! Still, its good to see people so happy and free.

Zipolite was a breath of fresh air! Totally different to Escondido, driving in it is all palm trees mixed with desert dry scrub andthe crowd much more my age. I also got to get back on local pickups and buses, awesome fun and gives you the more adventurous feel again! It brings back memories of spots like El Sunzal, and thats always a happy thing.

The dude I was staying with was working half the day before I could meet up with him, but a kind guy I asked for directions from on the bus turned out to be his neighbour and a local restaurant owner let me stash my big bag at his place. It is a local Italian and Mexican restuarant, look it up, good food =)

The layout of Zipolite is pretty much one main street, not too big, and very open. Shops on both sides with the beach on one side behind the shops. A layout that just seems to work almost everywhere I have seen it.
It makes for a pleasant atmosphere where it is easy to pass by friends, or to make new friends as you get familiar with people just by passing them often enough making it much easier to strike up a new random conversation.

Once my mate had finished work I found my way to his place and settled in. A whiled away a good 4 or 5 days there, just walked, swimming, socialising, and ejoying the place. There is a turtle sanctuary at Mazunte that is small but worth a look (and certainly worth giving your money to), as well as other beaches along the coast, all good to visit. While you won't likely be that active here, you'll certainly be relaxed! I also got one of the biggest awesome fish dinners I have ever had! It was a fish maybe 40 cms long, quite fat,and severely struggled to fit on my gargantuan plate! Served at a local restaurant there, we all got fish about the same size and seriusly struggled to eat it all! It was almost the perfect finish to my time in Zipolite (there is only so long I can sit and relax, I at least need waves) but unfortunately the place had one more thing in store for me... food poisoning! I don't want to blame it but I think it was the fish =( Man that was horrible... sleeping on the hammock (oh yeh, I had my first full night sleeping on a hammock! Got mosquito bitten on the cheek and lip though, weird places to be bitten) feeling so crook, leaving half my dinner in the garden, and taking a good 30 minutes or more to crawl with little breaks inbetween inside to get water and stuff. It took the whole of the next day to pass but thankfully it did before I left on my bus to Mexico City!

Normally I'm not so excited by big cities, but Mexico City I really want to see! This monstrous heaving city with a ridiculus number of residents and one of the widest gaps between rich and poor should really be something to behold. I also have a good friend there I want to see =)


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

The crowds were smothering!The crowds were smothering!
The crowds were smothering!

My kind of beach, during the day until late afternoon it is large enough to always seem quite deserted which makes it so much more relaxing
Large turtle poolsLarge turtle pools
Large turtle pools

These guys are maybe 80cm across the back to give you an idea of their size
The doormat. Interesting eh?The doormat. Interesting eh?
The doormat. Interesting eh?

So I couldn remember the name of the place. Now you can too if you want to go there, which I advise doing!
Mazunte left, just as peacefulMazunte left, just as peaceful
Mazunte left, just as peaceful

It is better to swim here too I think
How to find shade on a beachHow to find shade on a beach
How to find shade on a beach

Rock formations do wonders when you are trying to escape the heat. Provided the sun isn't directly overhead of course.


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb