Day 23 - Mexico City, KIDNAPPED!


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Puerto Escondido
December 27th 2005
Published: January 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Back in Mexico City! It wasn't planned but it seemed like a good idea, especially as we have decided not to get the bus all the way to Dallas as we are sick of the long journeys, instead we have splashed out on 2 plane tickets to Dallas.

We spent a while wandering the streets near the Zona Rosa district looking for accommodation, of course the Rough Guide to Mexico was typically useless again. We decided to head to the nearest tourist booth, but as we neared it we were approached by a tourist police officer who seemed very friendly, over friendly, and offered to help us find a room. He then introduced us to his friend who appeared out of nowhere. This guy looked like a mafia boss with his brown suit and dark gold shades. I was already feeling suspicious of him. He of course had a room available in a nice hotel which wasn't on our map, but we thought we would walk with him if it was close. However my alarm bells started ringing after we approached his car and he told us to put our bags in. No way on earth was I getting in the car and I guestured to Lousia that I wasn't going and made up some excuse. This is when it really got scary, the guy became threatening, saying stuff like "You don't do this to the Mexican!", "You don't mess around with the Mexican!", "You don't mess with the tourist police!". Does this sound like the sort of response you would expect from a genuine tourist officer?? I think not!!! I just walked off, and a few minutes later he was nowhere to be seen and neither was the police officer. So be warned and be careful in Mexico City!!

Eventually we decided to splash out on a nice hotel room in the Zona Rosa. Just down the road we found 'Ripley's Believe It Or Not!' museum of the strange and wonderful which was fun for a couple of hours. Went to Burger King for dinner. Sorted out a room near the airport for tomorrow night and watched South Park in Spanish in our room. An authentic Mexican day I'm sure you'll agree :-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 23; qc: 90; dbt: 0.0842s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb