Festival of the Radishes


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
December 22nd 2009
Published: December 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in the City of Oaxaca yesterday and are ensconced in a nice hotel and all ready for the famous Fiesta De Los Rabanos where local people carve large twisted grotesque radish tubes into strange shapes and display them on the main square on the night of the 23rd.

The weather is quite cold for here and we have dug deep into the luggage for the cold weather gear.

After leaving Antigua in Guatamala, we traveled to Xela (aka Quetzaltenango), and on to the border at El Carmen near Tapachula. We drove a long day up the coast on what seemed like super highway and arrived the same day in Ziploite.

We are planning to spend christmas and new year on the beach.

The road from the beach to the City of Oaxaca is as beautiful as ever and we drove it all the way over the mountain in low range, (40 mph max). When we hit Miahuatlan on the central valley side of the range we shifted to highway range and arrived in the City in the afternoon. After the usual morass of driving in the city traffic and just at about the snapping point we found the perfect guest house, (second floor corner room), for 425 pesos a night, (about USD 38).

Thanks for checking in all is well except I lost a bank card. Thank goodness for backup cards.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb