Week 2


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Morelos » Cuernavaca
June 25th 2006
Published: October 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

On Wednesday of this week we went to Mexico City after lunch to visit the Museo Frida Kahlo and the Dolores Olmedo Museum. The Frida Kahlo museum was located in her house, which was more of a compound like the Basilica of the Virgin of Guadalupe. My roommate passed out outside of it, which was quite eventful. It happens when you don't eat. There wasn't much in this museum, mostly just ropes in the rooms that have been made up to look like they did when she lived there with her husband, Diego Rivera, whose artwork is all over Mexico and the United States.

The Museo Dolores Olmedo is housed in the home/compound of a friend of Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera and features many of their works of art. It also has works from other artists and pre-Columbian art owned by Dolores Olmedo before her death. There are also many animals on the property, including a group of xoloitzcuintles (Mexican Hairless Dogs), which were very interesting to watch. They didn't really pay attention to visitors at all but ran around in their own section of the park.

On Saturday we visited the city of Tepotzlan, which is also the name of the mountain next to the town. We climbed the mountain first and visited the pyramid at the top. We had lunch up there, which attracted the attention of some cuatis, who really wanted my PB&J. We climbed down (or raced down, as the case may be) and went to explore the market. We also stopped in to our favorite ice cream store "Tepoznieves" or "Snows of Tepoz" which is a nickname for Tepoztlan. Straight to the source! We also snuck into this little cafe to watch soccer with the locals since Mexico was playing Argentina that day.

On Sunday we were supposed to go into Mexico City to see the floating gardens in Xochimilco and watch a bull fight, but bull fights were suspended temporarily because of the World Cup, so we went to Las Estacas instead, which was a natural stream that you buy/rent innertubes for and float down. They also have a bunch of stuff to jump off of along the stream, like swings and trees.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb