Looking for silver in Taxco.


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Morelos » Cuernavaca
July 15th 2008
Published: July 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It's pretty early and I can't sleep due to the chickens and dogs that seem to like the early morning hours, so I thought I'd catch up with my writing. I should be pretty tired though, given the weekend I had traveling around Morelos.

The weekend began with a trip to Taxco, known for its scenic hillscapes and an abundance of silver products. Taxco is a steep city, built on the side of an even steeper mountain. The white cement houses and red-tiled roofs fill the horizon with a vista reminiscent of Greece. From a distance the city takes on a unreal aspect, as though it were a city floating on the clouds.

While our Spanish language school offered excursions to this city, many of us at school thought we might have better luck if we got an earlier start, ensuring more time for buying trinkets and wandering around the town, looking for something we might not have seen before. As the harrowing bus ride (dramamine was passed around the bus like beer at fraternity party due to the winding curves and the speedy bus driver) drew to an end and we entered the city, Taxco's rustic appeal could be seen everywhere, well, after we left the smog -filled, filled to capacity bus station.

It wasn't long before someone in the group suggested we move out of the parking lot (genius!) and begin our journey into the city. However
Once you get a taste of that precious metal and



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0805s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb