RVing in Mexico with Raymondo y Marsia - 2012


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Michoacán » Pátzcuaro
February 28th 2012
Published: February 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Ten years ago Mexico’s Secretary of Tourism embarked on a program to designate certain towns around the country as “Pueblos Magicos”. So far, fifty towns have been awarded the title due either to their natural beauty, cultural riches or historical relevance. Patzcuaro was the seventh town chosen and is the first of these towns we’ve visited this trip.

Patzcuaro is a pretty town with white stucco buildings and red tile roofs. The city is a popular tourist destination but we did not find much of interest here. There was some carnival activity as lent began while we were there but it was pretty amateurish – just kids having fun. The city lacks the usual large permanent central market and has few sidewalk restaurants and independent food stands.

Tuesday morning the four of us caught a boat to visit the Isla de Juanitzio in the middle of Lago de Patzcuaro. Most of the passengers on the boat were indigena inhabitants of the island who are also P’urhepecha. There was some sort of festival going on in the island village with the women and young girls decked out in their Sunday best but we did not take any pictures as it did not seem appropriate. As we were leaving the men were feasting and drinking beer. The women were all standing around waiting for their turn to eat, we guess. Quite a few of the ladies also held long necks.

The main tourist activity on the island is to climb the 130 foot monument to Jose Maria Morelos a leader and martyr of the war for Mexican independence. A spiral staircase leads to the top of the monument called “quite an accomplishment of ugliness”. We agree with the description.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Grim Reaper.Grim Reaper.
Grim Reaper.

There are numerous carvers and wood working artists near our campground.


Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb