Cleaning House.


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Michoacán » Morelia
June 8th 2008
Published: June 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Main CathedralMain CathedralMain Cathedral

The Main Cathedral in the main plaza, Zocolo, of Mexico City.
Hey all, college graduate speaking! Besides some complications with the tired immune system, the end of the term went pretty smoothly. All those projects that I waited until the last two weeks to start seemed to come together miraculously (I could have studied more for my Spanish test and presentation), but I think I managed to pull off some low A´s nonetheless, finally finishing my first chunk of school.
Just some catch up of the last couple weeks. Our last excursion was a three day weekend to Mexico City, which many people call D.F. (pronounced Day Effay) for District Federal. It gets confusing, however, when the locals call it simply Mexico. They also call Mexico state (where Mexico City is located) Mexico. So, when a local is interested in your trip to his country and he asks you "Have you ever been to Mexico," your natural response is "Duh, I´m in Mexico", but eventually you get the hang of it.
So, fifth biggest city in the world, pretty scary to this small-island girl, and I was picturing something like Guadalajara, but it treated me pretty well. I think it helped that one of the days we escaped to
Templo Mayor.Templo Mayor.Templo Mayor.

The reconstruction of the main Aztec temple found under an abandoned building, in the middle of the modern metro center.
the outskirts to view the archaelogical reconstructions of the pyramids, abandoned during the conquest and buried with 500 years of erosion, only to be found and reconstructed according to historical plans. The place was truly magical, calm and relaxed despite the hoards of tourists and equally hoardish venders. It was amazing to think that once upon a time people built these just using a little bit of rock and slave labor! For me, it was also amazing that centuries later, we rebuilt them using a little bit of dynamite and heay machinery. We did a lot of stairstepping that day, and despite fighting a little Montecsuma´s revenge and desperately rushing to the sparsely placed bathrooms, the views were amazing.
The city itself was amazing also. One local told me that D.F. has more museums than any other city in the world, and whether this is true or not, we certainly got a little taste of museum hopping (pleasant for me because of the abundant bathroom situation). To name a few, the house where Frida Kahlo grew up, and later lived with Diego Rivera, the museum of anthropology (with tons of rock carvings from the ancient civilizations), and the Palacio
Templo Mayor.Templo Mayor.Templo Mayor.

Tenoctitlan (sp?) was the center of the Aztec city started on an island in the middle of a lake, where the "Gods" said to found the city. Some think that this prophecy was a way of disguising the fact that the only land left to build on was the crappy land in the middle of a lake.
Nacional (with tons of Diego Rivera murals). Some of the other sites included ruins right inside the city. The Plaza de Tres Culturas is named so because in one plaza there buildings from ancient, colonial, and modern time period. What happened is that after years of erosion, the more modern and colonial Mexico City was constructed, later to be discovered on top of ruins of pyramids and temples. Some buildings were subsequently destroyed in order to reconstruct these ancient artifacts, but there is much speculation as to what lies beneath the rest of the city, for example, the main cathedral, which they will never tear down. There comes a certain limit when the preservation of history is in conflict with the advancement of present culture.
Overall, I really liked D.F., lots of diversity and lots of really nice places in the city to walk around (or get lost in, as Lauren and I found out trying to find a place to get her ear re-pierced). We ate well, slept well, and learned a lot, which lends to a very satisfied feeling after an excursion.
The next two weeks in Morelia were dedicated to finding the balance between dancing
Palacio Nacional.Palacio Nacional.Palacio Nacional.

Diego Rivera mural, including in his history of Mexico scenes from all different epochs.
all night long, and finding time to finish (or start) term projects. It all came together, however, and we bid farewell to half our group this past weekend, while a few stayed to wait for visiting boyfriends or enjoy the city without the burden of school. I finally packed up and moved out of my host family´s house on Sunday. They couldn´t understand why I didn´t want to stay in their house for the next couple days, but I was too anxious to start traveling already and living independently, so Terra and I checked into an awesome hostel right in El Centro, only about five blocks from the main cathedral. We are each paying about $9 (US) a night, with a kitchen, hot water showers, free drinking water, and super nice employees. We went shopping at a little local market the other day to buy fruits and veggies to make a stirfry, then to a small store to buy eggs that they gave us in a little plastic baggie, and then to a Tortilleria right up the street to buy about 20 fresh tortillas for the equivalent of about 50 cents. It feels good to be shopping this way, not
Palacio Nacional.Palacio Nacional.Palacio Nacional.

Diego Rivera, showing the way of life of pre-conquest indigenous people.
in the huge supermarkets that are all owned by Walmart anyways.
On a personal note, I´ve been feeling a little disoriented and nervous for my trip. It´s easy when all my friends are returning home to their loved ones to fantasize about doing the same. Being away from home is teaching me how attached I am to the people who are close to me and who I love. But I also realize that I haven´t even started traveling yet, and there´s still a lot of adventure and personal change to come. I´m excited to get out of the city and start exploring less modernized areas, and finally be on some beaches! So, to all my friends and family and loved ones, I love you and miss you all, and I´ll talk to you from Oaxaca!!
Til next time, Michelle


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Palacio Nacional.Palacio Nacional.
Palacio Nacional.

Diego Rivera, the conquest and slave trade, while indigenous people labor in the background. There are many symbolic images that I was unaware of until my teacher pointed them out, such as the sickly looking slave trader that in myth brought many of the illnesses that wiped out the indians. Many times in murals one person´s image will symbolically represent an entire idea, like Adam and Eve or repression.
View from the top.View from the top.
View from the top.

Mexico city from the top of a 42-story building.
Teotihuacan.Teotihuacan.
Teotihuacan.

The central temple region of the civilization that was already fading out when the Aztecs were growing in Mexico City. In the foreground, the Sun Temple, and the Moon Temple in the Back. All these are reconstructions, forgotten and covered by 500 years of abandonment and erosion.
Teotihuacan.Teotihuacan.
Teotihuacan.

The flourescent lights that the ancient civilizations used to conserve electricity (they were very advanced).
Teotihuacan.Teotihuacan.
Teotihuacan.

Looking at the Moon Temple from the top of the Sun Temple. They are built different sizes, but because the Moon Temple is on a hill, they come out to be at the same level.
Teotihuacan.Teotihuacan.
Teotihuacan.

Looking back toward the Sun Temple, unfortunately, we were unable to climb to the top of the Moon Temple because it was closed.
Teotihuacan.Teotihuacan.
Teotihuacan.

Looking down from the top of the Sun Temple.
Teotihuacan.Teotihuacan.
Teotihuacan.

Friend on the Moon Temple.
Teotihuacan.Teotihuacan.
Teotihuacan.

Climbing the Moon Temple, the stairs were each about 2 feet tall.
Frida Kahlo.Frida Kahlo.
Frida Kahlo.

The courtyard in the Frida Kahlo museum.
Museo de Antropologia.Museo de Antropologia.
Museo de Antropologia.

Temple replica.
Museo de Antropologia.Museo de Antropologia.
Museo de Antropologia.

Mural showing the importance of corn and the cycles of life and death.
Museo de Antropologia.Museo de Antropologia.
Museo de Antropologia.

God statue replica.
Museo de Antropologia.Museo de Antropologia.
Museo de Antropologia.

Diagram of the island in the middle of the lake where Mexico City was started.
Museo de Antropologia.Museo de Antropologia.
Museo de Antropologia.

Miniature depiction of indigenous marketplace.
Museo de Antropologia.Museo de Antropologia.
Museo de Antropologia.

The famous Aztec calendar.
Back in Morelia.Back in Morelia.
Back in Morelia.

The Saturday night lighting of the cathedral.
Hostel Allende.Hostel Allende.
Hostel Allende.

The plaza on the ground floor.
Hostel Allende.Hostel Allende.
Hostel Allende.

The cocina.
Hostel Allende.Hostel Allende.
Hostel Allende.

Our room, complete with traveling buddy.


Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0906s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb