¡Bienvenido a Mexico!


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Mexico City
July 22nd 2010
Published: July 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

¡Hola!

After a stress free flight with the bonus of extra leg room, we touched down in Meh ee co! No problems with customs, etc and the authorised airport taxi dropped us at our Zona Rosa hotel for the official set rate of 152 MXD. All nice and easy :-) We arrived pretty late at night so we grabbed some tacos from a street stall near the hotel. They were gorgeous but we learnt two things pretty quickly. The green sauce that looks like avocado is actually very spicy, we had to scrape most of it off without looking like complete wimps ! :-) Also, we learnt to pay at the end and not when ordering, it caused confusion and ended with the chef coming after us wanting more money. The chef's assistant who took the money pleaded innocent, to our disgust! Of course we didn't pay again and funnily enough, we haven't seen that assistant again so maybe he got the sack!

Our first day was a Monday, the day most things are closed! Typical ! So we wandered the streets, sampled a few mexican beers and had some lovely fajitas. After the South East Asian phenomenom of moped loading, we are glad to see that it exists here but with taxis. We watched 5 rather well built people climb out the back, with one lady lying across her fellow passengers. The boot was also full of lugage, I hope it wasn't a long journey!

The next day we visited the Chapultepec Park and spent pretty much all day in the Museo de Abtropologia. It's highly recommended and it has given us a great introduction to the culture of Mexico. It also rained most of the day so it's a great place to keep dry :-)

Ok, some fast facts..... Mexico City is the 2nd most populated city in the world. It's elevation is 2,239m and it's altitude can affect you. The city is built on an old lake bed and is sinking about 20 - 30cms per year causing havoc with streets and buildings!

For all the bad stories we have heard, so far Mexico City has not lived up to its reputation. Yes it can be frenzied, polluted and congested but we have still found it to be welcoming and are looking forward to experiencing more :-)

Adios Amigos! :-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0637s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb