Day Eight, time for fun in Guadalajara


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Jalisco » Guadalajara
June 20th 2009
Published: June 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Watching the DriveWatching the DriveWatching the Drive

Hopefully this was my 220 yard drive straight down the middle of the fairway
We left Guanajuato around 9 AM and arrived in Guadalajara at noon after an uneventful 3 hour trip through some nice country that is reminiscent of Texas or the American Southwest; very open, scrub trees, mountains in the distance, blue sky. All in all, a nice drive.
After dropping the luggage and passengers at the hotel, Dave and I head to the Guadalajara Country Club--the wife of a couple we are friends with at the Embassy in Tegucigalpa is from here and her family still lives here. Her dad is a long-time member of the club and gets us all in as guests. The course is very nice, the nicest course I've ever played including even the Blue Monster in Doral, FL. They shut it down for close to a month every year to get it ready for a tournament on the woman's tour--might have to watch that this year to see how it looks for the pros.
Anyway, the steep green fees and all the manicuring don't help my game much. I'm still pretty much the same golfer as always, just playing on a nicer course. But I have fun and don't worry about the score--I know my limitations and
Getting Ready to Tee OffGetting Ready to Tee OffGetting Ready to Tee Off

Notice the pants, $11USD Wal Mart special. We weren't advised and didn't realize that Guadalajara Country Club has a pretty strict dress code that prohibits playing in shorts (brought along a nice pair special for the occasion) so we had to make a run to the store. Fortunately for Dave he was able to wear his Air Force dress uniform pants.
I don't aspire to be Tiger Woods.
The game is interrupted for about 15 minutes by slight rain--there was thunder in the distance and they warned of a storm moving in (we learned in Guanajuato that Mexico also has rainy season and that it rains pretty hard just about every day). The storm never came, the rain let up and we continued playing. It's been a long time since I played a full 18 holes--usually just 9 at the club in Honduras--so we were both pretty tired and feeling somewhat sore at the end. But worth it.
After the game, we met with the parents and sister of the wife from Tegucigalpa for dinner at the clubhouse. They were very nice, the food was good and we all had a good time.

Adding trip data for those keeping score at home: trip odometer now reads 1705 miles, traveled 174 miles today and paid $354MXN ($26.31USD) in tolls.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Chipping over a Bunker to the GreenChipping over a Bunker to the Green
Chipping over a Bunker to the Green

My chipping game needs work
Along the CourseAlong the Course
Along the Course

Beautiful course at the Guadalajara Country Club


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb