Trouble in paradise...soothed by champagne...


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Jalisco » Ajijic
February 14th 2014
Published: February 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Dusk on Lake ChapalaDusk on Lake ChapalaDusk on Lake Chapala

This is Mexico's largest fresh water lake.
We were awakened Wednesday night about 2:00 am by a small party going on in the patio....I finally put earplugs in and got back to sleep....but Bill said it went on til 4:00am. We asked about the noise this morning and I think I understood that the people had been asked to leave, even though they were booked for the next night too...We were given a bottle of Champagne as an apology from the hotel...so Valentine's Day is now taken care of!

We took a bus to the town of Chapala yesterday, and explored this bigger and more active town down the lakeshore from Ajijic. There are fewer ex-pats there, and older, elegant buildings from the 1930s, when it was a destination for wealthy Mexicans and Europeans. It has a beautiful malecon (walkway) along the lake.

We checked into our latest hotel on Valentine's Day... We have a small casita to ourselves here, and the pool is solar heated, so we can swim. The hosts are Canadian/American and serve a wonderful full breakfast to order. They will also drive us to the town where we will catch a bus (hopefully) to Mazamitla on Sunday.

Last night we had
Lake ChapalaLake ChapalaLake Chapala

This ake provides Guadalajara with its wqter....it has been drying up and was severely polluted, but things are getting better....pollution is much reduced now.
dinner next to an ex-pat couple who were using Valentine's Day to air all their grievances with each other...the discussion got nastier as the evening went on....they left before our food came, thank goodness! For dessert, we took our champagne back to the Hacienda del Lago, to have it with dessert at the newly opened French restaurant there. We asked Aljeandro to join us and had a lively conversation in Spanglish for an hour or so... He gave a tour of the tower room and his rooms...just sumptuous!

Today I went jogging and saw police cars up the block when I came back, and investigated...it was a parade for the Chili Cook-off. It was interesting to see the interface of the Mexican officials and the non-Spanish speaking Canadians who were organizing different parts of the parade! The mayor and the Canadian consul were there; beauty queens and dashing men on horse back...a marching band comprised of school children and women dressed as Dalmatians promoting the local animal shelter!


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Feeding the pelicansFeeding the pelicans
Feeding the pelicans

The man in the red hat brings fish scraps from the local restaurants by bike to the pier, and feeds the pelicans.
Girls on horsesGirls on horses
Girls on horses

They appeared along the lake, dressed in large skirts and bright blouses...


15th February 2014

Enjoying your blogs
Enjoying your blogs--I first visited Lake Chapala in 1952 with my parents--imagine that! I just returned from a textile study trip to Ghana. I made some fabulous batik cloth and also some terrific beads from recycled glass. Love hands on experiences. Sally (friend of the McClains from Merida)
15th February 2014

Thank You
What a beautiful trip so far, and I'm sure it will bet even better with each glorious day. Thanks for posting all the photos and writing so well--your blog is my reward for slogging through another day at work! xoxo

Tot: 0.596s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 27; qc: 123; dbt: 0.2104s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb