Mexico City


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Distrito Federal » Mexico City
November 28th 2005
Published: May 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

In Mexico City we stayed in an area called Zona Rosa, one of the nice parts with lots of designer shops and posh restaurants. Of course we made use of the designer shops at Latin American prices and stocked up on Diesel jeans, essentials obviously.

We explored the city which was much nicer and less dangerous than we had imagined. Lorna, being a lover of VW Beetles, couldn't wait to jump in a taxi, most of which are green and white Beetles. The driver of our first (of many) taxis was more than happy to pose for photos in his car!

A trip to Mexico would not be complete without visiting some Mayan temples. We found an English speaking taxi driver to take us on a tour, stopping off at a tequila 'factory' (more of a shop where they show you the cactus used to produce tequila), a silver 'factory' (a few shops) and the Basilica of Guadalupe, a very important Mexican church. We then visited the ruins of Teotihuacan, climbing up the temples of the Sun and the Moon.

For a bit of culture we headed to Garibaldi, in a not-so-nice area of the city. The square was decorated in true Mexican style with shiny bits of paper above our heads on strings. The place was full of Mariachis, trying to extract money from the tourists, and overpriced bars. Here we bought cowboy hats and wore them to a bar like true 'Gringos' which is probably why they tried to charge us a 200% tip!!

As expected, we ate lots of fajitas and drank lots of Corona, the real cultural highlights of Mexico!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb