Teotihuacan


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Distrito Federal » Mexico City
October 19th 2007
Published: October 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Natalie on a PyramidNatalie on a PyramidNatalie on a Pyramid

At a jaunty batman angle
¡Hola Muchachos!

That's about all the español you're getting.

Well we're still running camera-free, thanks to out lack of the USB necessities, so I'll leave you free to imaginatify your own images of our travels for now. Hey, I'm not that fat.

Anyway, yesterday we hit the ruins at Teotihuacan. Aside from being a dream-like and brilliant scrabble score, it is actually a dream-like and brilliant place, if you can get over the fact that pretty much most of it is reconstruction (like stonehenge, they're never very forthcoming about this!).

Two huge pyramids dominate the site: the pyramid of the sun is apparently the 3rd biggest in the world, and you can get right to the top. It actually doesn't look out of place with the surrounding mountains, except it has more snakehead sculptures carved into it, and it is perhaps a steeper and less forgiving climb! The pyramid of the moon is a bit smaller, but a steeper climb if anything. You can also buy pretty much anything you like there, as long as what you like is made of obsidian, and looks like an aztec dagger or arrow-head.

We shared a bus with a
Si at the top of the Pyramid of the SunSi at the top of the Pyramid of the SunSi at the top of the Pyramid of the Sun

it was quite hard work, but definitely worth it
couple of what I'd anticipated standard travelling types to be: a self styled German 'superdude', who thought having a guidebook would ruin his experience; and a Scottish hippy, who took to meditating at the tops of the pyramids. Quite a nice bloke, but I'm not sure where these places of ritual murder & sacrifice fit in with the free-love & peace aesthetic.

In the evening we managed to stumble opon the oldest bar in Mexico City yesterday, or perhaps that should be chance upon the oldest bar, and stumble out of it. After several Cuba Libres I decided to try and strike up a conversation with our bar tender, which was relatively successful, in that he at least understood me. However he then proceeded to take the piss out of everything I was saying. A mixed bag. Project Español still in it's infancy then!

Anyway, we're finally getting into the traveller vibe, in that we're largely unwashed and hungry, and generally sleeping far too much! Woo hoo!

Not much more to report, other than a few late dramas on the house, which all seem to be imagined, so it looks like we're home and dry come Monday.
And he always wanted a sombreroAnd he always wanted a sombreroAnd he always wanted a sombrero

unfortunately this one got hit with the shrink ray...


Hope everyone is having fun, and enjoy your Fridays! Have fun in Yorkshire riding gang. There's actually a small part of me that's jealous, but I think I can drown that part with Tequila. Hope you're treating Linda well Mr O'Regan, I'm missing her!

Take Care Amigos!

Si


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Pyramid of the SunPyramid of the Sun
Pyramid of the Sun

halfway up! stopped for a breather
I know boys, lets build another pyramidI know boys, lets build another pyramid
I know boys, lets build another pyramid

We´ve still got some stones left from the last one


20th October 2007

Super envious
Wow Mexico photos are amazing. Looks like you are having a fantastic time as suspected. San Fran also looks and sounds great. Want to go even more than I did before! Just seen the itinerary and might have to come out earlier - maybe New Zealand. Nowt happening here apart from poor old Edmund is sick. He has properly moved in now and off to vets on Monday to get him checked out. Hopefully it won't cost me fortune. Look forward to reading next installment. Adios amigos x

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0885s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb