Colin and Coleen RIP


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Distrito Federal » Mexico City
October 17th 2007
Published: October 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

View from the roofView from the roofView from the roof

of the hostel in Mexico City. Mexico city has loads of buskers in uniform playing portable panpipe/accordion type instruments. Hard to describe, but quite eerie music. On the roof you could hear about 4 different buskers with all their tunes merging into one, it was almost scary when not drowned out by the hostels super loud dub music!
greetings,

its evening and we´re waiting for dinner on our hostel's roof terrace (FREE dinner!), which is pretty cool and has a view over the amazingly impressive yet slightly scary baroque/gothic cathedral.

Anyway, you may be wondering what the title of the blog refers to. Well, we were hoping to avoid cockroaches till we'd been away at least a few weeks but no such luck. We've found two of the little blighters in our room so far and i'm afraid to say both have been brutally squished. Luckily they were quite small, so i guess its sort of preparation for the larger ones to come!

We had a good last day in San Fran wandering randomly as the two museums we wanted to go to turned out to be shut on monday - a lesson for both of us there to actually read what it says in the guidebook! the weather was a bit crap in the afternoon so we ended up going to the cinema to see Resident Evil 3 which i'd been on and on at Si for ages about watching. ha ha ha ha ha. Anyway it was ok...ish! Today have been on a walking
Calle MonedaCalle MonedaCalle Moneda

Where our hostel was - apparently this has hardly changed since colonial times
tour round Mex city which was cool and very informative, and got to hear the history of Mexico as depicted in the murals of Diego Rivera. Tomorrow its more history as we're off to see the Aztec ruins at Teotihuacan, which has the third largest pyramid in the world. We missed out on the Mexican wrestling last night as we were too knackered but slightly disappointed as it looks bonkers. In other random news, we have learnt an ace new card game called Yaniv, and got to be in a random Mexican teenager's school project, getting photographed sitting in on a strange chair sculpture grinning cheesily.

actually, just a quick apology for lack of photos so far. We don't currently have a lead to connect Si's camera to the machine, so we're waiting for mine to get developed or for us to find a lead to buy! will defo have some soon.

off to drink some beer now, hope you're all very well

loads of love

nat xxx






Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Waiting for our roomWaiting for our room
Waiting for our room

on 1.5 hours sleep...we were beginning to get slightly tetchy!
Fairy Lights!Fairy Lights!
Fairy Lights!

(this is one for James) randomly, the road behind our hostel had about 15 different shops all in a row selling nothing but Christmas decorations, in mid October. I've never seen such an array of fairy lights!
Market stalls and the side of the Post OfficeMarket stalls and the side of the Post Office
Market stalls and the side of the Post Office

the post office in Mexico City is palace like - you can't quite see how impressive from this photo - sorry!
Street SignStreet Sign
Street Sign

this building is the first branch of Samborns, a Mexican department store, and is tiled all over the outside
Restaurant in SambornsRestaurant in Samborns
Restaurant in Samborns

was amazing...and we had a fantastic lunch (with not a trace of meat!) for about a fiver...
Tube LinesTube Lines
Tube Lines

and the tube lines have pretty pictures for each station (I liked this)
Bloody Mary, Mexicano style!Bloody Mary, Mexicano style!
Bloody Mary, Mexicano style!

the tequila comes served with really tasty spicy tomato juice, which i could drink by the bucketful. BTW the perspective is a bit odd in this photo - they were shot glasses, not tumblers!
World´s poshest post officeWorld´s poshest post office
World´s poshest post office

I felt quite at home
The WifeThe Wife
The Wife

AKA Natalie T. Snardick III


Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 76; dbt: 0.0966s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb