Mexico City: The Zócalo


Advertisement
Published: January 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Mexico City! I am staying at a hostel directly behind the Metropolitan Cathedral in the Zócalo. The Zócalo is the main square at the heart of Mexico City officially know as the Plaza de la Constitución. In addition to the Cathedral the square is bordered by the National Palace, Federal District building and the Templo Mayor, which was the main temple when this was the Aztec city of Tenochtitlan. This area has been the center of a major city for over 600 years. The cathedral is largest and oldest in Latin America. The Spanish used stones from the Aztec temples they destroyed.


This is such a great city. I have been really impressed every day so far. It gets a bad rap in the U.S. but certainly doesn't deserve it. The people are incredibly gentle and kind. The city is definitely more beautiful than I was expecting. Great parks, museums, markets, monuments, etc. I am a block from a metro (subway) stop and can go all over the city for less than a quarter each day. So grateful to be here. Here are some pictures taken in or around the Zócalo.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb