MEXICO


Advertisement
Published: November 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our around the world trip has finally “started”!!! I quote that because our first stop has been MEXICO for 8 days. We planned on meeting in Mexico with my parents, sister and our brother in law because my sister is there working for a couple of weeks so we could give our farewells to my family.

Mexico City


I arrived on Sunday, Nov. 8th and Rustin arrived a couple days after me.
I spend two fun days with my mom, sister and a couple of very special friends that I have in Mexico.
I have to say … It was a delight to once again be eating Mexican food in Mexico, after 4 and a half years of my last visit there. It is nothing like the Mexican food you find in an average Panamanian or American Mexican restaurant. I think it is the fresh local ingredients that make a difference. We ate Mexican probably 98%!o(MISSING)f the time we were there and we already miss it! We tried new dishes, flavors, spices and a couple new beers (Victoria and Bohemia, good stuff).

For those of you who know Mexico City, we were staying in one of the most modern parts of the city called Santa Fe. It is around 40 minutes away from the International Airport. It is comprise mainly of big office buildings and modern apartment high rises.

We then moved to a very central area of Mexico City in Paseo de la Reforma close to main tourist points like the Zocalo (main square and cathedral) and the Zona Rosa, an area full of shopping and restaurants.

Teotihuacan


On Thursday, Nov. 12th we went to see the amazing site of the Teotihuacan Ruins. It is a very impressive site and it really takes you back in time.
It was Rustin’s first time. I had been there once before, but this time we got a guide to tell us all about it and it really enhances the experience of being there. Besides all the amazingly interesting explanations of the ruins and the life of the Teotihuacán and Aztecs civilizations, the guide also took us to a cooperative/market that sold souvenirs made out of the stone the Teotihuacans used to build the pyramids ( I learned the Aztecs did not build these pyramids, they found them already made and they lived in them for a long period! The Teotihuacans is the name given to the civilization that is thought to have built these pyramids.) The cooperative also had two very interesting dogs… the choloscuincle that has got to be the most horrible sick looking dog on earth, haha. This is a pre-colombinan dog, one of the few 7 breeds of dogs that existed before Christopher Columbus "discovered" America and is now one of the most expensive dogs in the world.
We also tried some tequila, (similar to tequila but stronger and with the worm inside) and pulca (a alcoholic juice that comes out of a cactus)
Images will do a lot better than words… Una imagen habla por mil palabras… so have a look at the pictues.



San Miguel de Allende


For the weekend, we decided to go to this beautiful little town that is now one of the UNESCO World Heritage sites since last year. Its narrow stoned streets and colonial architecture are very charming. The town also has beautiful views of the surrounding mountains.
We found interesting how this part of Mexico is full of cactus trees everywhere. The nopal cactus is eaten in many Mexican dishes and it tastes pretty good. You can find it in salad, quesadillas, fajitas, burritos and they even drink it as a juice here. Very tasty.
It was fun to walk around the hills of the village for hours and admire its beauty with Rustin and my family.





Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



27th November 2009

Mexico
Wow this is pretty cool!! I have been to those pyramids, and climed them!!! Hope you guys are having fun!!
27th November 2009

Congrats!!!
Hola... muchas felicidades y mucha suerte para ustedes dos. Me ha fascinado el blog sobre todo la narración de la experiencia... minímo estuve allí... je,je,je Ale, José y yo les mandamos muchos besos y esperamos ansiosos nuevas noticias y fotos de ustedes... por cierto, salgan más ustedes en las fotos... je,je,je
3rd December 2009

Estuvo super!!
Se nota lo aventureros que son. A mi me encanta la comida mexicana. Pero despues de 5 dias, ya queria como una pizza o algo asi. Haha!!
9th December 2009

Hey Butchies!
Hijos: We hope you made it to Australia without problems. Miss you already! Papa de Estados Unidos
11th January 2010

MEXICO
HOLA RUSTIN Y XIOMARITA, LAS FOTOS DE MEXICO ESTAN MUY HERMOSOS ESOS LUGARES QUE RICO ES CONOCER. BUENO QUE SIGAN CONOCIENDO POR TODOS LOS PAISES A DONDE VAYAN. LOS QUIERE MUCHO TU TIA FIDE.

Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb