Trading Candy for Cake


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Chiapas
January 8th 2009
Published: January 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Lagos de Colon and Ruinas de Lagartero


Our last day in Mexico we decided to visit the archaeological zone, Lagartero, which is about half an hour drive off of the highway to Guatemala.


We followed the signs and found ourselves paying a small fee to enter an area known as Lagos de Colon (Lakes of Columbus). The men at the gate assured us the ruins were there. To get to the ruins we first drove across a river (actually an overflow from a lake that flowed across the road) and through a small town. Again we followed the signs and arrived in a wooded park-like area. We asked a few people if there were ruins ahead and they said yes so we kept driving until, we thought the road ended at a river with a footbridge for crossing. We parked the van, got out to take a look around, and noticed other vehicles driving across, well actually through the river. When in Rome, do as the Romans, so we followed suit and also crossed the river, and then another, and another in the van. Unbelievable; we would have never guessed to actually drive through these waters had we not seen the locals doing it first. At the last water crossing a group of people were swimming in the water, so we parked the van and walked over the foot bridge. To get to the ruins we crossed a few more foot bridges that were actually a series of logs and ladders before following a short path to the ruins.


The ruins consisted of four structures and a ball court. The ruins were more memorable because of the location and getting there rather than the structures themselves.


After returning to the van we made conversation with a few officers who were patrolling the area. After talking for a few minutes about our trip, where we were from and where we were going, we pulled out the laptop to show them pictures of home and places we had been. Before we knew it a small crowd of people gathered around the van to also look at our pictures and talk to us. I had read in the past that people enjoy talking to travelers and seeing pictures of people and places from the US, but this was truly incredible, I had no idea! We exchanged candy for cake, gave out our email address and travel blog website, and told them all to watch for their picture online (the one of all the people gathered around the van).


Our last day in Mexico we traveled over, through, and across the river to visit the ruins of Lagartero and the Lakes of Columbus and to exchange stories and sweets with a crowd a friendly faces. An exceptional last day!




Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Leila at the LakesLeila at the Lakes
Leila at the Lakes

looking for the ruins
the last of the river road crossingsthe last of the river road crossings
the last of the river road crossings

the one we decided to walk over rather than drive through


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb