San Cristobel de las Casas. Day 2.


Advertisement
Published: December 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Thought I had better take a break from the sun and update you all a little.

This is quite a large Mayan town up in the mountains. It's beautiful but with us staying pretty much right in the town centre it's extremely busy.

On the very top of the hill there is a church, This is the focal point for the whole town. Today is one of the Church's major festivals. The last few days we have seen loads of people coming from other local towns offering gifts for the festival. Hundreds upon hundreds of people carrying torches up the mountain towards the church. People setting off fireworks in their hands (really!). Lots of trucks full of people beeping their horns and flashing their lights. Pretty amazing stuff to watch.

Unfortunately the local people here do not like having their photograph taken. They believe that it steals their soul. So we have respected their wishes and not taken any around the place. It´s a shame as it really is like nowhere else in the world and I would love to capture some of it.

Today we have been for a boat ride down a huge canyon through crocodile infested waters, back in time for the main festival celebrations tonight. They set off giant fireworks off all down the road and people run down the hill alongside them.

Tomorrow it´s an early start, off to Palenque, then on a night bus to Merida. Hopefully we'll find some more Internet access soon (and a better keyboard, this one needs to go in the bin really).


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



15th December 2012

Hello
You sound as if you are all having a great time. Take care all x

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb