Coaches, collectivos and cock-ups


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Merida
December 14th 2012
Published: December 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We are now in Merida. San Cristobal was one of the most amazing places I have ever seen. The people are beautiful and the city is too. We could have taken the most amazing pictures but the Mayans believe that if you photograph them you steal their soul so we have none.

The region does not really see tourists to our pigeon Spanish had to be accompanied by many mimes in order to get by - the most amusing being the mosquito dance in order to get insect repellent.

Canon Sumidero was breathtaking - we were 4 foot from live crocodiles. One jumped in the water suddenly. Staiz jumped 3 foot of the floor.

Yesterday morning we got a very early bus to Palenque - a largely unexcavated Mayan city that covers 25km square.

Only thing is due to the pigeon Spanish we bought our tickets for the wrong day. A bus full of cross Mexicans had to sit and wait while I tried to change the tickets.

From the town we took a collectivo to the ruins. This is a combi van which crams in as many people as possible into every available space and was quite an experience.

Palenque was breathtaking. You can actually climb up the Mayan pyramids and go inside. We also went into the jungle. We saw wild howler monkeys. Their growl is terrifying - just like a lion roaring. Our guide took Mark and Staiz of under a bush to see tarantulas. I, predictably, held the bags.

Last night we got a night bus (9 hours!) to Merida. We have just had the first shower for a good while and washed our clothes.

We will probably be heading to Playa tomorrow.

Advertisement



16th December 2012

Hello
Hi hope you are all ok. Hope you have arrived in time now for Jamie and Jessica's wedding. Have a lovely time and please send a photo through if you can. Please give Jamie a big hug from me. Happy anniversary to you carey and mark for tomorrow. How time flies. Love to all x Maggie and Glen x

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb