10 days in Mexico


Advertisement
Published: January 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We are still alive! What a fun filled 10 days - we´ve hardly stopped for a minute. Mexico is an amazing place and every place we visit is so different and full of character. We will have a couple of days here in San Cristobal and then head to Guatemala so shall update you then...... Weather has been hot and sunny, no problems with travelling so far, meeting lots of interesting people. Food has been particularly hot and tasty! No danger of returning home waif like! Will now attempt to add some photos.

Places we´ve visited so far:
Cancun - brief stop, bit touristy, got first bus out after recovering from our journey!
Valladolid - interesting town with a little market plaza and amazingly loud birds! visited Chichen Itza, Mayan temple - beautufil. Hired bikes and cyled to 2 Cenotes (Underground limestone sink holes / lakes) swam in the caves which was pretty cool.
Izamal - the yellow city. Fab place where all the buildings are yellow! amazing big convent (or monastery?) and we happened to coincide our visit with a sound and lights show which was pretty spectacular - amazing booming music and light show about the history of
Children celebratingChildren celebratingChildren celebrating

Near to Valladolid
the Mayan people and the local area (Yucutan) Daz listened in spanish, Penny opted for English translation headphones!
Merida - big lively city. We happened to coincide with the city´s 466 birthday - a bit deal it seems! so one big fiesta. Fireworks, dancing, traditional art / dance shows. Amazing local food in the plaza on sunday (all deep fried, we haven´t seen many skinny mexicans!) Stayed in a lovely hotel courtesy of Penny´s bro & sis in law.
Day trip to Celestun, beautiful estuary / national park, full of hoards of pink flamingos and a lovely sunny beach. We´re still pretty white but less glowing than when we arrived!
Campeche - beautiful colonial walled city. Must have been spectacular in its prime. Again, lovely plaza to sit and write journal / read / drink beer. Such fun watching all the locals go about their day. Climbed the city walls and were treated to fantastic views of the city - beautiful coloured houses. City is looking east on the Gulf of Mexico so enjoyed a beautiful sunset.
Palenque - Jungle territory. 6 hour bus ride so glad to arrive eventually! After Darryl tried to steal some poor American´s rucksack we
IzamalIzamalIzamal

The Yellow City
ended up sharing a taxi then a room with them! Real jungle living the first night (literally hut, in the jungle) lots of twittering birds and munching insects! Amazing pizza restaurant must get a mention!
Visited more mayan ruins at Palenque - really impressive, towering temples and palace from 600 - 900 AD made all the more exciting by the surrounding jungle. Afrived just after opening and sat at the top of the tallest temple to look at the site and enjoy the spectacular views.
Today we arrived in San Cristobal de la Casas - a lovely city (many people´s favourite city in Mexico) high up in the mountains in the south. Another 6 hour journey but we broke it up with a tour of waterfall and jade coloured lake. Had a quick boat ride in an amazingly unstable boat (4 logs tied together and half sinking before we sat on it) but was great fun! Waterfall Aqua Azul was a stunning cascading fall where we could swim and bask in the sunshine in the middle of the falls (a gentle part rather than raging torrent part!) Climbed behind another waterfall (Misol Sol) which was refreshing!



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Darryl and large bottle of SolDarryl and large bottle of Sol
Darryl and large bottle of Sol

Dodgy locals beer hall in Izamal
SunsetSunset
Sunset

The Gulf of Mexico, Campeche
Pen and DazPen and Daz
Pen and Daz

With Flamingos in Celestun
PalenquePalenque
Palenque

Mayan Ruins
PennyPenny
Penny

Swimming in Aqua Azul Cascades
Aqua ClaraAqua Clara
Aqua Clara

Jade Green lake on dodgy boat!


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb