Corozal Belize to Campeche Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Campeche » Campeche
May 13th 2014
Published: May 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

This is how we crossed the border from Corozal in Belize to Campeche Mexico via Chetumal.



1. From the bus station in Corozal next to the market we caught a bus to Chetumal. The bus left at 8:20am and cost B$5. It arrived at the border at 8:40am.



2. Go through Belizean migration. (When we got off the bus many people left their bags on the bus so we did too thinking that the bus will wait. The bus doesn't wait but runs back and forward shuttling several people to the Mexican side of the border on different trips. The same bus did pick us up in the end but it definately would have been better to have our backpacks in our possession). First there is a desk where you have to pay B$37.50 exit fee and get a receipt. We also filled out a tourist questionnaire. Walk to the next desk, show your receipt for the fee and get an exit stamp. Leave out of the back of the building.



3. Once outside you can change money. Walk through the car park and stand by the fence on the road and wait for a bus to take you to the Mexican migration. Our bus came back to pick us up at 8:50am. We wrote our names on a list to get preference to get back on that bus if there were queues and after a few minutes reached Mexican immigration.



4. We were greeted by someone giving out tourist card forms to fill out. You have to go into the next building and can fill out the form in there. At the desk the officer asked where were going and how long we were going to be in Mexico. You receive half the tourist card back to keep. There is no entry fee here.



5. Go into the next building which is customs. You have to scan your bags and push a button. If it is green it is OK. Once through customs you have to wait for a bus to arrive.



6. The bus that arrived at 9:20am was a different bus to the one we caught to the border. Some people got priority boarding but then anyone could get on the bus. The bus arrived in Chetumal 20 minutes later. Mexico is 1 hour ahead so we got into the town at 10:40am. The bus dropped us off by the new market on 2nd Circuito Periferico road.



7. We passed the ADO station on the way into Chetumal. To get back there walk back down the road, turn right at the 2nd stop sign and head towards the main road. Go left at the garage on the main road and the ADO terminal is over the other side of the road. The walk takes about 10 mins.



8. A bus to Campeche left at 12pm. It cost M$410 each. In the terminal there is a general waiting area and platform specific waiting areas. I would recommend showing your ticket and waiting at the platform. Our platform waiting area had softer seats, aircon and free toilets unlike the general area. You need to hand in your luggage ther 1/2 hour before departure to be loaded onto the bus. The bus has a toilet, aircon and movies (some in English).



9. We arrived in Campeche at 6pm. You need to get a taxi to the centre. There were taxi ranks outside the bus station but we had to wait a bit for a taxi to arrive. It is a set fare of M$30 and took 15 mins to get to Plaza Principal.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.32s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0607s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb