Loreto


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Baja California Sur » Loreto
June 17th 2008
Published: June 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well here we are in Loreto after a 6 hour bus ride across the peninsula from Guerrero Negro. We´ve decided to stay here at least 2 nights because it is BEAUTIFUL. At last!
We came through more spectacular desert and the view of the Sea of Cortez as we came down a windy road was incredible. This coast is much more beautiful and more blue than the parts of the Pacific coast we saw.

Loreto is a lovely little colonial Spanish town. It´s just gorgeous - full of colourful little Spanish style houses and with pretty paved streets with ficus archways. Unfortunately most of the photos of it are on my camera which I still can´t access but hopefully in a couple of days.

We´re staying in a pretty decent hotel for $40US per night, so a bit dearer than previously as it´s more touristy here. It even has air conditioning (it´s HOT here, much hotter than on the other side - late 30s I would say at least) and cable TV! We had breakfast this morning on the roof top of the fancy hotel of the town (US $150 per night). It´s a beautiful old brick building and has a roof-top swimming pool built into the ceiling of the entrance foyer.

There are lush palm trees, bougainvilleas and cacti everywhere and the coast is just stunning.
We walked along the beach and saw all sorts of varieties of fish (there were huge schools swimming right past our feet). Also pelicans, turkey vultures (we think that´s what they are, hopefully that´s a real bird) and of course the ubiquitous seagulls.

I think we´re in heaven after what has been a bit of a hard slog up til now. In fact Rob is having fantasies of never leaving, he wants to buy some plot of land (it´s cheap here and the Americans are snapping it up) and put a caravan on it among the cacti and climb the mountains nearby.

So on to La Paz either tomorrow or the next day (4 hours on the bus, that´s nothing!).

After that we think we might skip Cabo San Lucas as it´s another 3 hours each way. We´ll probably get the ferry from La Paz over to the mainland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



18th June 2008

Wow. The skies look so clear and the water beautiful. Must be great seeing all the wildlife. Keep up the good work, really enjoying reading about your travels. x
19th June 2008

lovely belly
hello beautiful mama, looks like you're having a great time, despite the vagaries of Mexican bus toilets. Go the shewee!!! Can't wait to see your photos!

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 48; dbt: 0.059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb