Now in Loreto for a couple of days....


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Baja California Sur » Loreto
February 24th 2007
Published: February 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sunrise before we leftSunrise before we leftSunrise before we left

Bahia de Concepcion sunrise...
The 24th at 8.30 am we were on our way out of Playa Santispac in Bahia de Concepcion and on to Loreto some 90 miles from here. After using the dump station, Mike had a little trouble getting out of the turnaround b/c it really is not designed for larger Rvs . And throw in all of the rocks and bumps and you have a very disgruntled man!

We had thought that the drive here was not going to be too bad but we were wrong again. Loads and loads of winding hills and hairpin curves again!!!!!! It was very beautiful landscape but the highways are treacherous with the curves and hills!!!

We got here around 11 am into the city of Loreto. Loreto has a population of about 7500. It is considered the oldest continuously occupied town in the Baja, founded in 1697. Now the same developers who have “invaded” Cancun, Ixtapa and Los Cabos are now here in Loreto . Most of the development is just south of here in a little place called Nopolo. There one will find convention centers, golf courses and a tennis center. Fishing is big here too, obviously.

WE are staying at a pretty nice place called Loreto Shores RV Park and Villas. It even had laundry services! Well, sort of. Two washing machines “work” but no dryers. I found that some of my clothes came out of the washers in the same condition as they went in!

After hanging the clothes out to dry, we decided to take a walk around town. Loreto is a nice little town. There is a mission church here and a neat little museum that has exhibits explaining the history of the area and also of the missions of the Baja. We also walked down what I call “Artisan’s Alley” which has all of the little shops selling the “wares” of the area. There are not a lot of tourists here at the moment. Just RV caravans and solo Rvers like us!

Loreto is on the Sea of Cortes and has a nice walkway along the public beach area known as the Malecon. Lots of little villas and homes near the beach. Tomorrow we will do more sightseeing as well.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The usual wares....The usual wares....
The usual wares....

But I still love looking at them!
New RestaurantNew Restaurant
New Restaurant

We went here to ask the owner where we might find our nephew, Mark's, in-laws place but he had not clue who we were talking about!! Oh, well, the owner is from CA and has a nice restaurant there...See that turista?


24th February 2007

Out
I have enjoyed reading your blog......I wished I had a video of the "blow out", the ruff roads, I know that you're having a blast, call me when you're back in the US......don't drink the water..... Out
24th February 2007

More like it!!!!
Kath, now here is a town I could live in. It looks very modern, but it sounds like it is on the verge of possibly getting wrecked by developers. That is too bad. It looks really beautiful. I loved the Artisan Alley. Very romantic. Great talking to you this morning. It was the best connection yet. Probably because it was early in the day. Have fun at the market. Love, Sue
24th February 2007

intriguing
i have been wondering what happened to you two. the roads sound treacherous but the scenery is gorgeous. just love reading your interesting blogs. you could write a book. great hearing from you. keep them coming.
25th February 2007

Beautiful!
Loreto looks very livable. Little more modern, but not quite invaded yet! I think that the Bookers may have made a wise investment. It may be a place we'll have to visit with Mark, Halley and Alexis! Take care, the pics are great!!

Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb