La Paz


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Baja California Sur » La Paz
November 23rd 2014
Published: November 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Swimming beach at the waterslide parkSwimming beach at the waterslide parkSwimming beach at the waterslide park

All locals there, except for an older Italian woman who winters here and lives in Milan the rest of the year.
While the last few days in La Paz haven't been as exciting as the first two, we've been enjoying the quiet of our hotel (silence is required after 10:00pm...) and the easy accessibility to the malecon and the water. I've tried paddle boarding (a bit too windy and lots of boat wakes, but dolphins!!!); we rented bikes and cycled the length of the malecon; I rented a bike a second time and went swimming at the beach at the end of the malecon while Bill watched the Seahawks game; had an anniversary dinner at a sweet restaurant with great pasta; we rented a car and drove to Todos Santos and on to Cabo San Lucas (and back...); drove another day to the pristine beaches north east of the city in a wind storm; drove to the phosphate mining town of San Juan del la Costa west of La Paz where the road clung to cliffs above the water...

When not exploring, we're been eating at some good local restaurants (pizza at a trendy but family-run place a 20 minute walk from here and garlic fish at a classic Mexican "marisquería" near the marina have been our favorites so far...) We
Jacques Cousteau and Bill on the La Paz maleconJacques Cousteau and Bill on the La Paz maleconJacques Cousteau and Bill on the La Paz malecon

As in Mazatlan, there are many sculptures along the malecon. I found out that Mexican artists can pay their taxes in art, which partially explains the abundance of public art in this country...
had to move to the suite since the other rooms here were booked, and are liking all the space and the kitchen. We've been making breakfast "at home" and can keep our beer and tequila chilled now! We've met many sailors here, including a couple who will start a trans-Pacific voyage in the next few weeks, and have a cat on board!

The wind has interfered with our plans for snorkeling and kayaking, and is finally dying down tonight (Wednesday), but we leave for San Jose del Cabo tomorrow....we will take the longer mountain road this time and hope to do some snorkeling and swimming once we reach the eastern cape. We will spend two nights in San Jose del Cabo and fly home on Saturday....


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Waterslides into the sea!Waterslides into the sea!
Waterslides into the sea!

Closed for the season....it is winter here..I forget!
On the pier at the waterslide park....On the pier at the waterslide park....
On the pier at the waterslide park....

Just before the guard appeared and explained we couldn't ride bikes there...Some of the Mexican watching asked if we were alright after seeing the guard escort off the pier!
Abandoned condos on the sandbarAbandoned condos on the sandbar
Abandoned condos on the sandbar

Our guide told us that the developer took out the mangroves and now the sand is shifting....
Hotel CaliforniaHotel California
Hotel California

All tastefully redone for boomer visits!
Our neighbor's condo building in CaboOur neighbor's condo building in Cabo
Our neighbor's condo building in Cabo

It was hard to get to..I got lost a few times in the maze of tourist shops and restaurants, but the setting is spectacular...
Grounds of an elegant resort we found while wandering around backroadsGrounds of an elegant resort we found while wandering around backroads
Grounds of an elegant resort we found while wandering around backroads

It's called Ranchero Pescadero and has a yoga studio (pictured) and an organic garden for the on-site restaurant...rooms start at $250....


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb