Mexico


Advertisement
Published: April 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

It took a whole 6 days sailing to get from Costa Rica to the Baja California Peninsula, talk about cabin fever! Actually it was a really great trip, not rough and we saw lots of dolphins and a couple of whales. The dolphins love to play in the boats wake, and at one point were effortlessly swimming infront of the bow while we were moving, I was a little bit scared we would run them over but they were just having fun. Also lots of turtles, they float on the surface to enjoy the sunshine, one of them sadly had a plastic bag tangled around it's neck which is a good reminder never to throw anything overboard.
We pulled into Cabo San Lucas early in the morning, the first thing I saw was the famous Arch made by the rocks with a little beach in the middle (later found out one side is lovers beach, and the other divorce beach) and about twenty sportfishing boats, all leaving for the day. The water traffic here is absolutley hectic around here, there are jetskis, kayaks, sportfishing boats and yachts coming and going from the marina all day long.
It's spring break here at the moment, and a popular destination so it's a real party town created for tourists, so much so that at the edge of town there's just desert. We were in port and alongside the dock for five days so had plenty of opportunity to join the party, went to Cabo Wabo, El Squidro, Zoo bar and the smallest bar in the world (There are only 4 bar stools!) my memory gets a bit hazy after that!
It was Sofias birthday while we were here so all the crew got the day off and we organized a suprise brunch at Nikki Beach. Nikki Bech is a very chic resort, theres about 8 of them in the world in places like St Topez and St Barths and when we were there they had a DJ and a band and also a playboy party. Had the best day, drinking mojitos in the sun and dancing on the catwalk.
After all the decadence we were back to work, and picked up guests to do a one week trip up into the sea of cortez. The coastline here is very barren, the real desert, but also very beautiful in it's own way. The colours
Sportsfishing boatsSportsfishing boatsSportsfishing boats

They display flags at the back to show what has been caught that day
on the cliffs at sunset are quite spectacular and there are cacti right next to turquoise clear water.
I was lucky enough to get a chance to explore two of the beaches we visited. The first was picture perfect white sand and clear water and because it was low tide there were islands of sand everywhere and streams of water running between. Saw a couple of porcupine fish swimming and a crab too that tried to have a nip at my toes. On the beach there were lots of pearl shells washed up, and also porcupine fish skeletons, which are kind of cool they even sell them in cabo!
The next beach, Bone beach as Dell named it was all rocks. I got dropped off on my own to explore and at first I was wondering how to kill time, but it was one of the best beach combs i've ever done. There were mangroves and a little dark water stream just behind the rocks that seperate the ocean which made me think I was back in the Kimberley. I was waiting for a croc to jump out any minute! There were eagles circling above me, and lots of bones on the ground, it was a little bit eery. Found a whole snake skeleton, fish bones, bird feathers and little fire remnants with puffer fish scattered around. Also found a great peice of red coral and a perfect little pearl shell as a present for my roommate (I think I have enough!). It was really interesting to see how much there is in the desert, and the cacti really are everywhere, just like in the movies.
Now we're back in busy Cabo, but anchored out, and will be leaving for San Diego in three days.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb