Toronto


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada
August 14th 2015
Published: August 20th 2015
Edit Blog Post

After a plane ride across Canada and another time difference, our third time change since being in the country we arrived at our apartment and were met by a lovely chap who gave us loads of information, showed us around the place and had even filled the fridge with fresh fruit, wine, chocolates and all other yummy things, what a good start. Just time to unpack and nip across the road for pizza and ice cream, mmmmmm.

Out and about today and we are off to find the visitor centre to stock up on maps of the city and further afield but on route to the office we stumbled across Lawrence Street Market, OMG it is incredible. The fresh food looks so delicious, everything you can think of and then some more. There were cake stalls selling the most exquisite cakes and pastries, breads to die for and although I don't like olives I have never seen so many varieties and colours, it's a foodies dream place. Mr Bennett was seen drooling on many occasions and had to be stopped from making all the oooo, aarrggghh noises several times. Coffee aromas and the legendary Peameal cooking (a bacon with a breaded corn crust) were smells that made you salivate. As you can gather we were in there quite a while and Bazi had to be dragged out after I had prized him away from the bread counter for the fifth time!! Onwards and as you may expect the Toronto tower stands proud in the middle of the city at a height of 553 meters. You can do the skywalk around the rim and even lean over the edge, we didn't bother with this. By the tower is the Olympic like flame as the Panamania Games are on at the moment which are for the disabled. By the city hall they have set up stages and every night they have the medal winners from that day on stage. It was a nice touch and made me cry, these people in some cases are incredibly disabled and yet they have managed to overcome so many challenges in their lives and achieve something so wonderful that it's very humbling. They got a big round of applause as you might expect and then the bands start up and were followed later by fireworks. After all this excitement we found the information bureau and they were fantastic. Got all we needed for our stay in the city and then we got so any maps and ideas for our onward journey, they were brilliant.

Today we took the ferry across to Toronto Island, it took about 20 minutes and was full of children, we were a bit exhausted when we got there and that was just listening and watching them!! We had packed a picnic and spent the whole day there. There are several ferries making the crossing as you can stop off at different locations and we opted for the Centre Island and then walked from one end to the other which was quite a long way. In the centre is a fun park with rides and boating lakes fortunately this was where all the kids were going!! We then walked over to Hanlans point end, we ambled along through the gardens, then a stroll on the beach until we saw the lighthouse. Further on until we reached the side of the river with views across to the city, it's a fantastic spot for a buttie and a photo. On this stretch is a clothing optional beach which surprisingly enough we didn't bother with but it was great to do a bit of people watching and decide who was heading in that direction, some of our made up stories were quite accurate I think!! After our picnic spot we walked across to the other side being Wards Island. There was a boardwalk along the water and we had been advised to visit the cafe for a spot of refreshment as it was good. It was a nice hot sunny day so a quick beer for Baz and a Gin and tonic for me went down really well. You actually think you are by the ocean as the lake is so huge there are big waves on it so it looks tidal and it goes on for as far as the eye can see. I did think we should travel all round the Great Lakes but as it's a journey of 6,500 miles we won't be doing that, just a little of it. Good day was had.

Well a full on day today, we started a bit late but flipping heck we walked some road today!! Started with a stroll around the Theatres and went in and visited a couple. The Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre was opened in 1913 and is extremely ornate and a beautiful theatre. There was an exhibition on showing costumes and scripts from all the pantomimes that have been put on and on a plaque on the wall was a story about how the pantomime was created by the British and how it has now become a part of a tradition at Christmas here, there was even a picture of the Queen performing as Aladdin at Windsor Castle (great photo of her with a little short outfit on, didn't know she had legs). After this it was a walk to Queens Park and the Ontario Parliment building. We had a guided tour, saw the premiers office, all the lovely wood carvings, marble staircases and the chamber where all the politicians sit and argue their case, just like our Parliment, there is even a speaker to keep order. Good visit, very informative and free. Next a trip through China Town and having visited a lot of China Towns in various other countries and at home this was the most like China for it's restaurants, the people, the markets and smells. Nice to see but onwards before a comfort break is required just in case it's one of those dreaded squat toilets!!! Off to an area called Kensington, very bohemian, lots of individual cafés, shops and bars. No chain stores here, in fact quite a few of the shops are actually in people's houses. They have painted their front steps in vibrant colours and it's all very new age, laid back with lots of colourful characters. Live music comes out of lots of little bars and it has a happy vibe about it (or maybe that's just the wacky baccy). We sat and shared a jug of Sangria before making our way across the city for the closing ceremony of the Pam Am Disabled Games. It was a free event and after the parade of all the flags, the speeches by the head of the commitee and the Mayor of Peru who is hosting the next games it was on with the concerts. Think we watched four bands who were all Canadian bands so we had never heard of them but they were good and then Wycliffe John from the Fugees came on. He was very good, got the crowd buzzing and sung a few numbers that we knew, the atmosphere was fantastic, everyone dancing and singing, not a drop of alchol in sight, no trouble or anyone spoiling it for anybody else. It was a very happy event and one we were very glad to have attended as the athletes were incredible, they were inspirational. The firework display at the end of the night was great and we made our way back to base feeling happy but a lot tired and with four aching feet, another great day.

Of to do some more exploring and today it was the Historic distillery district. I know what you may be thinking, what a surprise more alchol but actually you are only half right!! The area has been completely regenerated from old mills into some micro brewery's, wine bars and restaurants and lots of art galleries. There were boutique shops, a chocolatier which sold the nicest chocolate and the shop itself smelled delicious, home made ice cream parlours and bakeries. It was buzzing with people and we wondered around most of the galleries checking out the exhibits. I am not really very appreciative of modern art although I do try to persevere and see what the artist is trying to achieve but well it's either way too wacky or I must have a closed mind!! I just don't get it and half the time I think I could knock something like that up no probs!! Anyway we did participate in a drink in one of the breweries and I sampled a raspberry lemonade beer which was actually quite nice. It's a nice area to stroll round on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

Another walk our socks off day today, we set off to find Bloor Street which is basically the Rodeo Drive of Toronto, it's a street lined with designer names. We obviously had no intention of buying anything, don't think the plastic would stretch that far but it's nice to go and see how the other half live. There seems to be as many underground shops as those above. Huge shopping centres under the city which is good if there is a heat wave on, as there appears to be at the moment. Next we went and visited the Royal Ontario Museum, it's a great museum and apparently one that is on every Canadians must to list. Its one of the worlds leading museums of natural history and world cultures. It had an exhibition on Pompeii at the moment which was interesting. There are four floors in the very modern building which house exhibits from all over the world, costumes, different room designs from Victorian, Art Deco and Neo Classical to Dinosaurs and Fossils. There were interactive things for kids to do and we actually ended up being in there for about 5 hours without realising where the time had gone. Just time to grab a quick meal before heading off to the Prince of Wales theatre to watch "Oh Canada what a feeling". It was an evening of music playing tribute to the best of Canadian music, there was KD Lang, Bryan Adams, and Celine Dion that I had heard of and then bands such as Gordon Lightfoot, The Band, Steppenwolfe, April Wine etc etc all of which Baz knew the songs to. Baz enjoyed it, he was foot tapping and singing along whereas I felt as though maybe Canada didn't really have that much to celebrate musically.

Toronto is an easy city to get around, although Bazi and I have walked everywhere there is a great train and bus service that runs all hours of the night and day and they have a tram network as well. It's a very diverse city as well, it has the very modern buildings mixed in the the very old, bohemian areas, China town, sports stadiums, large parks, shopping for every budget, loads of museums, beaches, sailing, nice bars and restaurants and of course Bazi favourite Lawrence Street Market. It's been a great visit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.35s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb