British Columbia, the Fantastic Rocky Mountaineer Railway


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
August 6th 2015
Published: August 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Arrived after a three hour easy flight from LA, it's kinda become no big deal to hop on a plane for a mere three hours, it's getting a bit like catching a bus except you get drinks and nibbles!! We jumped in a taxi and got a driver who told us where were the good areas were,and pointed out some of the sights along the way. It seems every taxi driver at every airport in every country that has picked us up has been Indian and all they want to talk about is cricket!! Anyway we chose downtown to stay and the location on Robson Street has been really good, it's very central for everything and there are loads of restaurants to choose from within a couple of blocks and we feel very at home and perfectly safe.

It seems that the first thing we do when we get to a city is do the tour bus, our driver was very witty and pointed out all sorts of other things as well as all the information we got from the audio. We started our tour around Stanley Park which is just gorgeous, we are going back to walk around the whole area which covers about 10km. The city is on a huge bay and it has a very busy shipping port with big tankers moored off waiting to enter the channel which can take upto four day to come in with the help of a pilot. The cruise ships don't have to wait that long surprisingly and one has docked today and it is enormous. They pull along side the quay where there is a fancy hotel and Canada Place which is a great building on the waterfront, it has been created in the shape of a ship complete with sails. Back to the bus trip and we went over to Granville Island, it is very green, lively and has markets, parks, comical statues and looks as though it's a great place to kick back and chill. Some of the buildings in the city centre are really cutting edge and the library is just fantastic, it's been built like a modern date Roman amphitheatre, it's stunning. We went through China town and then we got off the bus and strolled around Gastown which was great. It has a village feel to it and is named after "Gassy Jack" a character of the late 1800's who was so named as he talked a lot. We saw the only steam powered clock in the world and every quarter of an hour it lets off loads of steam and if you are stood next to it you get wet. We called in for a liquid refreshment and watched the world wander buy for an hour before carrying on. We walked across to Canada Place and went in Fly Over which is a cinematic thrill ride. It was brilliant, all locations in Canada, we soared from coast to coast with our feet dangling and our seats moving as though we were in a helicopter flying low over Niagara Falls, skiers on the mountain tops and deep canyons. Every time you flew near water there was a fine mist of water to get your sense's going. Hot and cold depending where you were and you could even smell the grass on the plains, there were even shots of the rocky mountaineer train which we are going on on Friday. It was brilliant, we thoroughly enjoyed it, the only thing we didn't like was the fact it was all over to soon. Next stop was the Vancouver Lookout which is a huge building with a revolving restaurant at the top, firstly you travel up in a glass lift on the outside of the building which is 550 feet up and arrive on the observation deck. We thought we would probably spend an hour looking at the unbeatable views but we ended up staying a lot longer having moved up to the restaurant floor had a drink watched the view whilst been slowly rotated, it take 50 minutes for it to go all the way round, dinner followed and we ended up watching the day turn into night. It was awesome.

What happened to the weather today, it's all very British! We have that funny wet stuff that falls from the sky. We have nearly forgotten just what it is! Anyway after a long lazy breakfast we went off to do a museum and we chose the police museum. It's in a very dodgy area, lots of homeless, druggies and drunks. On our way we got asked numerous times if we wanted smokes, drugs any kind?? We politely declined but thought it ironic that all this is going on right outside the police station. The museum itself was ok, not that much to see, some evidence from crimes, some grizzly pictures, a morgue with all the fridges in and an autopsy room. It passed an hour from the rain and then we went out again to run the gauntlet of the street people. Tonight we have been out for a Greek meal it was delicious and for the two of us it worked out at £15 for two main courses, I have to say that the cost of living seems very reasonable here considering that Vancouver is the second most expensive city in the world to buy a property, Hong Kong being the most.

Today we have spent the day walking around the perimeter of Stanley Park which is the most fantastic area in which you can quite happily spend a whole day. Apart from the walk around the sea wall there is the Aquarium which has Beluga Whales and thousands of other species to look at, there is tennis, golf, lakes, restaurants, horse drawn carriages, totem poles, culture, history but having walked all the way round and thoroughly enjoyed it, the highlight had to be the Gardens. They were in full bloom and absolutely glorious,quite beautiful and we could fully appreciate why it is classed as the most romantic spot in Vancouver, the scene for many a proposal and even more so for wedding photos. We ate in the fish restaurant which was lovely and the Halibut was the best. After the park we called at a famous statue in Vancouver, it's supposed to make everyone smile and actually it did. The sculpter based the statue on himself and then created a group of laughing men. It works everyone was having fun and some of us posed in the same stance!! It was a lovely way to spend our last day in the city as we are off and out at 6am to board our train.

We arrived at the Rocky Mountaineer Train station a little after 6am and right from the word go the service was impeccable. As our taxi rolled to a stop there were staff all suited up to remove our cases from the taxi and walk with them and us to a desk to be checked in my more very helpful friendly staff. Our train sat outside all blue and gold and looking splendid and by every carriage doorway there were flags and red carpet out. We were given juices and told to help ourselves to coffee and that we would be boarding in half an hour. A young man sat and played at the Grand Piano, it was all very slick and very impressive. Boarding time arrived and after a little welcome chat we were shown to our carriage to the bagpipes playing. There are three or four classes on the train and we went for silver, the gold class carriages have glass roofs and you are upstairs rather than at track level but apart from that everything else is the same. The staff looking after us introduced themselves and having now spent two days on the train I can honestly say the level of service, attentiveness and attention to detail were second to none. A well oiled slick operation which has been incredible. a typical day starts with a non alcoholic cocktail to toast each other with a welcome aboard and a look forward to a good day. Coffee and then the breakfast service arrives which was a fresh fruit salad and pastries followed by omelet, potato hash and mushrooms, the food was all really good. Its now 10am so the drinks and nibbles are out, whatever you want is available, from juices to cocktails, wines or whiskeys and the measures are pretty large and you could just keep asking for a refill all day if you wanted, in fact sometimes our host Michael just kind of filled it up for you accidently!!! Still full from breakfast and it's lunch time, fresh salad, followed by rib of beef or salmon with roasted potatoes and vegetables followed by raspberry cheesecake. The food was all delicious although I think we must have put on half a stone in two days, we feel like a right pair of lardys!! All day we had commentry telling us about the views we were seeing, little stories and factual information. Our two hosts were so good. Michael was so funny with his jokes and funny tales and Holly Ann was always smiling and full of knowledge. They worked it really well together. Just before arrival, the drinks and cheese and biscuits were served. We were sooooo full!! Disembarking at the end of the day and a coach pulled up besides our carriage, we were given our hotel room keys whilst we were still sat on the train so no check in to bother with and our cases were in our room waiting for us. The first night we stopped in a town called Kamloops, there was a Rib Festival going on in town, live bands, vintage cars and it was buzzing. After a good nights sleep another 6.15am start. We left our cases and room keys in the room, no check out to bother with and walked out of the hotel and straight onto a coach. The coach pulled up right next to the steps of our carriage and we again walked the red carpet and up the steps for another day of being completely and utterly spoiled with great views thrown in. On our journey unfortunately we didn't spot any bears or Moose but we were told that sometimes the Moose wander down Banff High street which was our overnight stop on day two. In you want to see bears then you need to plan your trip around the salmon spawning time which is the second and third week in September so we missed it this time?? We saw hundreds of bald eagles, very majestic and lots of Ospreys. The town of Banff is lovely and very busy. I haven't got enough words to say just how fabulous the trip has been on the train, highly highly recommend it. Superb experience.

Picked up a car today and although we had booked an small economy car we were upgraded to a Chrysler 300 which is big and luxurious, its like sitting in a comfy armchair whist watching the most incredible display of scenery go past. We were headed up to Lake Louise for the night but on route we pulled in at numerous picturesque spots and then called at Johnson canyon for a bit of hiking. I have to say after sitting on the train for two days overindulging we were so ready for some exercise and we got it. We hiked up to two waterfalls and then carried on upto the ink pots which were just lovely. They are small pools that are the most fantastic colours of aqua blues to emerald greens depending on the depth, the water comes bubbling up from underground springs. They are just lovely and a great spot for a picnic. We hiked through a canyon with a fast flowing gorge at the side of us and then when you reached the 5 mile point it opened up into the most glorious valley with views all down the mountain range. It was a beautiful spot and great to get a few miles in on foot. After the hike we carried on to our hotel and I have to say I think the hotel has the best spot in the entire world. It is completely surrounded by mountains and glaciers and the views from the hotel are just sublime. We ate in the hotel which was a little pricey but worth it just to sit in a huge window gazing at the scenery. We are soooo spoilt. Up early this morning and off out to Moraine Lake which was another great stop. We walked up to the viewing platform and the lake and mountains were incredible. In fact the pictures look like we have been superimposed on them, the colours are just fabulous and it's at times like these that you need an all singing dancing camera. We then walked the lake path, it was good to get there early because before all the coaches arrived. It's a popular spot and gets very busy. Next a quick stop in Banff for morning coffee and a quick look at the three sisters mountains at Canmore Before heading to Calgary where we catch a flight tomorrow to Toronto.

This part of Canada has won our hearts, it's beautiful beyond anything you could imagine. We have had the most special time here. It's incredible.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb