FIRST DAY ON THE ROAD


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada
June 30th 2011
Published: July 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

2011-06-30 FIRST DAY ON THE ROAD

Today was to be a short jog up to Cache Creek to let us start out nice and easy and rest up from all the activities of the past two weeks with the grandchildren – Richard’s 4 girls and Rebekah’s 2 from time to time. Well day 1 turned out to be more eventful than we expected.
The #1 highway between Chilliwack and Hope was closed due to a huge mud slide that covered the road in both directions. So we drove up Yale road and out the #9 to Agassiz then up the North side of the river on Hwy #7 to Hope. We met up with the traffic back-up about 30 Km. West of Hope. So it took one and a half hours to get to Hope – a 30 minute trip in normal circumstances!! The majority of travelers turned off and headed east, so Hwy. #1 was not bad at all. With all the rain we have had plus the beginning of the snow melt, all the rivers are full and flowing fast and every ravine has a beautiful waterfall flowing down it. We enjoyed the spectacular scenery all the way to Cache Creek.
The other big surprise was when we got to Lytton and noticed thick black smoke in the air. A railway bridge across the Fraser was fully engulfed in flames!! Glad we were not going across that bridge.
From here we were to head through Prince George then on up to Dawson Creek. However, Hwy 97 north of Prince George is closed for many days as a result of flooding which caused major damage to the road, knocking out bridges and destroying the infrastructure. So now we will need to take a rather LONG detour through Kamloops and up to Jasper, then east to Hinton, AB, and then north to get to Dawson Creek. Well – we did say this was to be an adventure, right!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



3rd July 2011

photos
beautiful, breath taking, photos! , thank you.

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb