The Rockies


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada
September 27th 2008
Published: September 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Leaving Vancouver we hit the road for The Rockie Mountains. The Plan was to head to Mount Robson, then Jasper, Lake Louise and Banff.

This part of the trip was one of our favourites, the scenary was amazing, and even the photo's don't seem to do it justice.

Mount Robson


After about an 8 hour drive, and constantly being taken over by trucks doing 120km/h down hills and around bends we made it to our bed and breakfast at the foot of the rockies and Mount Robson, the tallest mountain in the Rockies (also with a cracked windscreen thanks to a truck and a rock).

This place was awesome, we had a glacial stream outside our baclony and views to the mountain. When we arrived the owners took us down to the river because the salmon were spawing so we got to see them jumping up the rapids (unfortunaly no photo's of this as the little buggers are too hard to catch). That night the owner told us all about bears and mountain lions. Apparently he's not too scared of bears, "you just need to watch out for grizzly's, but they make bear pepper spray for them so they're no problem....it's the mountain lions you need to watch out for, if they're really hungry they'll stalk you, or even hide in tree's and pounce on you. Thanks for that buddy...i now have to spend the next 5 days walking through the mountains with hayley knowing this.

The next day we went on one of the best hikes of the trip, along the river up to Kinney Lake (check out the pics).

Jasper and Banff


Leaving Mount Robson we headed for Jasper then along the Icefields Parkway, one of the best drives you could do, and on to Banff. The drives aren't that long but take a long time as you want to stop every 500m to take photo's. We stoped at the Anthabasca glacier and did the icefields tour which was cool. The rest of the time was spent enjoying the scenary and doing a few more hikes. Lake Louise was also a really nice spot, and we got their early before all the tour groups which was a bonus.

Bears


I'm sure by the third day Hayley was getting very sick of me telling her to keep an eye out for bears. But turns out the guy at mount robson was right...just look out for the bear jams he said. On the way to banff we came around a corner to find about 15 cars stopped both on the side and the middle of the road so thought we'd check it out, and sure enough about 20m off the road was a black bear feeding on the berries. It was cool to see a bear but the experience was a little reduced given all the people scrambling for a spot, and all the RV drivers who think they can just leave their RVs in the middle of the road and not worry about the 20 cars behind them who want to get past.




Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Mount RobsonMount Robson
Mount Robson

Our B and B


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb