Niagara Falls


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Niagara Falls
September 28th 2008
Published: September 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, we had to sadly say goodbye to the Rockies! But canada seamed to have a hold on us as the GPS went crazy and we ended up in farm territory, I felt like dorothy in Kansas. We finally made it in one piece to the airport and were on our way to Niagara Falls! Had to stay overnight in New York to get to the Falls in Buffalo (US side) and then walk across to the Canadian side. Well, the Americans didn't want to make it that easy and this little old lady tourism officer refused to tell me how to get to the Canadian side and kept trying to flog the crappy American side. All we needed was the name of the bridge! We decided to wing it and started running, suitcases and all, towards the Canadian side, with even the security guard trying to persuade us to stay on the U. S side, damn yanks! We could almost see the finish line of the Canadian border, and it looked so much nicer, safer, cleaner and friendlier, so we hauled ass! Hallelujah, we had made it! We felt like we were home in Canada. Decided to treat ourselves, after staying at the Canadian hostels, and got a nice king spa suite room- ahhh, this is the life. Headed out to see the falls, walking through the streets of Niagara Ontario which were like a mini vegas crossed with the royal show.

First stop, the long awaited maid of the mist Yay! those little ponchos did absolutely nothing and we were absolutely drenched within 5 minutes but it was absolutely awesome. It didn't help that we got the best view, right up the front! Went past the American falls firsts which are pretty with lots of rocks under it but the the Canadian Niagara falls kicked their butts. They were so powerful that the roar was almost deafening and you couldn't see a thing in them. Chris, however, being the water lover he is, was completely at home, and we arrived back on dry land looking like drowned rats. Since we thought we couldn't possibly get any wetter than we were, we adventured on to get a closer look at Niagara- beyond the falls, winding our way past a neil diamond lookalike singing "sweet caroline", with hillbilly groupies in toe.

The beyond the falls access was even more spectacular, getting up close and personal , in front of and behind the Bridal veil falls. It was very mesmerizing and Chris became completely hypnotized by it so much so that I had to drag him away before he got too close and went over the edge. As we were leaving, a lovely rainbow came out........ohhhh! no wonder this is the top honeymoon spot. After dinner in a fine canadian restaurant, we walked back down to the falls and the U.S falls were lit up from the Canadian side with a rainbow of ever-changing colours, that looked even more incredible at night, but unfortunately the camera could not capture the true beauty of it. Retired to our room to soak our aching muscles in the spa. Watch out NYC, here we come !


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb