Alaska - Day 8


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon » Whitehorse
July 1st 2017
Published: July 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Yukon RiverYukon RiverYukon River

Going through some rapids on it's way North
Day 8 – Travel Day to Skagway

Today, we are not sitting in a bus for 9 hours, we are in a bus for 3 hours, a train for an hour and half, and then bus back into Skagway to the hotel. This is the first night that we have seen street lights come on at night, very late, around 11:30pm, but they came on.

We left Whitehorse, and passed through Carcross, Y.T. and Bennet, B.C. on our way to Fraiser, B.C. Carcross, Y.T. was originally named Caribou Crossing, but postal confusion abounded, since there was evidently another destination with the same name, so they renamed this one to Carcross.

We saw some beautiful scenery, even though the skies were overcast, we had no rain, and without the sun, the colors were not as bright, and contrast was not as high, and pictures don’t convey the beauty of the country, but we take them anyway to share some of what we were seeing.

After we checked in we had a going away party with our Journey Hosts. There were two buses along a parallel track, so that we saw them every night at our stops, and from time to time, came into lunch stops as they were leaving.



Tomorrow, we have a tour of Skagway, and then get on the ship.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Snow still remainingSnow still remaining
Snow still remaining

There were a lot of patches of snow remaining in the mountains, and this one had the outline of a bear, so I clicked.


1st July 2017

Yukon River
Some of those river shots looked more like beach shots. The turquoise blue and white sand (or looked like white sand)

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 34; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb