ROADTRIP: Day Four & Five


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon » Whitehorse
August 26th 2007
Published: August 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It is now 7pm here in Whitehorse and Amanda and I have finished our expedition for the day! After 1800 miles of traveling over the past five days, we are now EXTREMELY excited for those last 112 miles (by land) and 90 or so miles (by sea) before we get back to our humble little apartment in Juneau, Alaska!! It has been such an exciting two days of travel.

We left the Traveller's Inn in Dawson Creek on Thursday morning and drove to Muncho Lake. Along the way, we were on Wildlife Watch because the second day of travelling on my own, I saw a little doe, a coyote, a fox, and a bald eagle. The third day, Amanda and I both saw a black bear but not much else. So on the fourth day, Amanda and I saw the biggest moose I have ever seen!! She was huge and sadly, she took off before we could stop and take her picture. Later that day, we also saw two cariboo along the highway. It was amazing because it was the first time for me seeing cariboo in the wild!! They were gorgeous!! Later on that same day as we got deep into the Northern Rockies (which are absolutely breath-taking) we saw three more cariboo frolicking in the grass!! The rest of the drive was a nice one as we reached Muncho Lake around 5pm. The Northern Rockies hotel was a huge log resort located next to Muncho Lake which was as bright a teal as possible from the glacier water that composes the lake. We sat down in the restaurant and had a drink (me a Warsteiner german beer and Amanda a Manhattan) and played cribbage. By 9:15pm, I was out and slept like a baby!!

We got up this morning and left the fancy resort around 8:15am to set off on our last long day of driving. After an hour or two of driving, we came across a huge herd of buffalo that were resting and eating the grass next to the highway. They showed no signs of being afraid of us as they just stared while we stopped and took pictures. One young juvenile with stubby horns even cross the road in between our cars and started snorting at us as he walked across. None of them seemed agitated at all though by our picture taking. The rest of the day, we kept an eye out for more wildlife but didn't see much besides some geese. And after a little over 400 miles later, we arrived here in Whitehorse and found our little hotel on Jeckell street.

It is a nice little home with purple and yelled stairs out front and a glass window art showing Dr. Jeckell and Mr. Hyde. We checked in with the bossman and he gave us the "Asian room" as our sleeping spot. We both got top bunks in a room that houses 5 women. I got the "giant panda bear" bunk and Amanda got the "Chinese Crane". So after looking at a map of Whitehorse, we did a little touring around and took pictures of random sites. The waterfront was pretty nice and the little trolley passed us as we walked along. We took some pictures on the sides of the buildings (including the Frantic Follies) and just enjoyed being out of the car. We also visited the S.S. Klondike -- an old sternwheeler vessel that was dry-docked long ago. After being a little intimidated by the drunk locals, we went to subway and got dinner and came back to
CaribooCaribooCariboo

My first sight of wild cariboo!! Ah, priceless!!
the hostel to relax and for me to update this travel blog. And now we are enjoying the calmness of the night, mingling with Kathy (our hostel roommate from Vancouver, B.C.), and getting so excited for tomorrow night when we will finally get to Juneau!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

The signpost forest in Watson LakeThe signpost forest in Watson Lake
The signpost forest in Watson Lake

I didn't see an Idaho sign right away but I didn't look all that hard because it was windy, sprinkling, and a little cool!!
more signpostsmore signposts
more signposts

The forest was huge!!
Teslin in the YUKON! Teslin in the YUKON!
Teslin in the YUKON!

The water was pretty warm and the food was amazing!!
TeslinTeslin
Teslin

Amanda standing in the water!!
stopped at constructionstopped at construction
stopped at construction

A little Alberta humor thrown into our roadtrip while we were stopped at a bridge!!
Totem polesTotem poles
Totem poles

On the waterfront in Whitehorse, Yukon!
WhitehorseWhitehorse
Whitehorse

Whitehorse Trolley


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb