Canada- Toronto-Winnipeg, Saskatoon and the farm.


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Saskatchewan » Saskatoon
October 3rd 2010
Published: October 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well, my year of travelling has finally started. First of all flew into Toronto which was pretty amazing. Went to Niagra falls the day after and got really, really wet on the 'maid of the mist' boat, but it was amazing. I think everyone should do it before they die. We also went to a winery owned by Dan Akyroyd where they make ice wine, and we got some free tasters.
Went straight to the CN tower, which is someting like 150 stories high. You could see for miles and miles and Toronto looked beautiful at night. The strangest bit about the tower is the glass floor, its such a strange feeling because it feels like your floating.
The next day I got on a bus for a 30 hour journey to Winnipeg in Manitoba. I thought it was going to be horrible but it was actually quite relaxing. The leaves have just started to fall around the lakes in Ontario and so it's really amazing to look at. It also helped because i managed to get the back 3 seats to myself so it was almost like sleeping on a bed which was really good.
I then had a night in Winnipeg where i got a whole dorm to myself which was nice so i could have a bit of space from other people. The next day i was up early for another bus journey to Saskatoon (13 hrs). We drove right through the praries where there are huge flat fields for miles and miles. The size of the machinery here is crazy, i think i saw a drill which must have been almost 20m across.
Got to Saskatoon that night to meet Len and Grace (my 3rd cousins) who have kindly let me stay in the guest room at their condo. We went to a couple of museums the next day which was interesting, seeing how the natives around here used to live.
On friday we drove up to the farm that my other relations live on, near Port Albert. Its not so flat near them and there are lots of lakes and trees, its really nice. I got taken for a tour round the farm which is massive. A lot of the fields were too wet to plant this year and there are lakes in the middle of fields where there wasn't before, its really bad. They are just swathing the crops before they combine them at the moment, but it is a very stressful time for them, especially as they sadly just lost their father, Art.
The next day me and Steven, their son went quad biking through the forest, properly off the track which was really fun.
Back in Saskatoon now, catching the bus to Jasper tomorrow night which is a 13hr journey, it will be nice to finally see some mountains though.
I will try to upload some photos soon.
Hope everyone is well back home.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb