day 11 - quebec city, quebec


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Québec City
May 31st 2010
Published: June 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

today was a little strugglish. after getting to bed after 3am i couldnt sleep. probably got to sleep about 5am and then was up at about 8am to catch the bus into the city at 9:15. we got ready and went to have our breakfast. the sun was shinning with blue skies (something we didnt think we'd see with all the smoke yesterday) so we all chucked on shorts and singlets. after stepping outside too go to the bus we decided to run back to get a jacket. we came out at 9:16 and they'd bloody left without us.
this wouldnt normally be a problem but this morning they we doing a tour of the city, first a bus tour then a walking tour.
we found a taxi maxicab driver (as there was 6 of us) that happened to be playing in the pokies ne4xt door to the hotel and he dropped us into the city. only problem was we were in a french speaking city and had no idea where we were going. luckily we got in touch with one of the girls who was on the bus and she managed to get the next location. we got dropped off outside a hotel in the city and made our way to the parliament building when we found the buss waiting. the whole thing was like an episode of 'the amazing race'... not what u want to start your morning with.
we did the rest of the bus tour, then the walking tour. in all honesty, there was a lot that i didnt know what it was but it is a very pretty city city, obviously very french inspired.
after the walking tour 8 of us found a little cafe to have lunch in. on the menu for most of us was chicken burgers, and we sampled the local dish called 'poutine' which is basically chips with gravy with cheese on top, it was very nice.
after lunch we walked around abit longer, took some more photos, went into some souvenir shops then 4 of us caught a cab back to the hotel. melissa and i decided to walk down the road to the local shops to check them out... found nothing. oh we did find a petshop that were selling some very strange animals and i got a little bag (not from the pet store), thats it. we walked back to thee hotel and i started to put some photos up on facebook, while i was waiting for them to upload i fell asleep (so you will find only 5 photos on there).
woke up abit later and we got ready to get dropped into the city. the 'day sheet' says that wew were leaving at 7:30pm. as we'd missed the bus this morning we were down there by 7:20 just to be safe. BUT apparently we'd missed the bus again as they had left at 7:15!!!! far from impressed we cursed then walked up the street to try and find a maxicab as there was 5 of us.
this process took a while as we were just a little bit out of the city. we finally got this lady who was just the sweetest thing, and she spoke english too which was great. the problem with missing the bus again was that we had no idea where we were going. i had taken photos of the street we were in the night before so we showed here and asked if she knew the place and took us right there.
we walked the street a little before deciding on a place called 'voodoo grill'.
it had international cuisine. mary, ryan and anina had asian, mel had italian and i had indian, tandoori chicken. it was the best meal ive had since ive been here, and probably the best indian ive ever had.
we stayed here for quite a while as it was cold but we had heaters over us so very comfortable sitting outside. we eventually found a cab and went back to the hotel.
we got back to the hotel and just sat round chatting (while mary and i cleaned up our room and repacked our suitecases.
the others eventually left and i typed up the last blog before falling asleep just after midnight.



Advertisement



3rd June 2010

Wow, doesn't sound as though Jerry will be getting his tip this year then! lol I remember Jo talking about poutine before from when she lived in Canada for a while and I thought then how nice it sounded! 3 of my favourite things! Chips, cheese and gravy! Mmmm!

Tot: 0.494s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 83; dbt: 0.1392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb